III. Chapter 30 | Aubree

Author's Note: Please be kind to each other in the comments. Thank you.

----

A sticky warm breeze blew against their faces and rustled the leaves of the trees along the street. American flags flapped patriotically in front of each house. Children played and ran around the neighborhood while families and neighbors gathered outside, chatting.

Aubree waved to the those who called out in greeting—neighbors she had known since childhood—wishing her and Stone a happy Fourth of July as they walked by with Whiskey.

Stone was in a deep pensive state of mind as they strolled casually along, one thumb tucked into the front pocket of his jeans while his other hand held hers. His mind was locked up, so Aubree didn't pry.

Halfway around the block, he finally cleared his throat before speaking. "Did you happen to notice the shift in your mother's behavior?"

"Yup. She got really quiet. Must have felt guilty for the way she was treating us, knowing now that you've been through so much." She paused to wait for Whiskey to finish sniffing the base of a tree.

"Yes, but it seemed as though something else was bothering her. You didn't catch what your father whispered to her, did you?"

She looked up at him. "No. Why? What did he say?"

"It would seem as though he was reassuring her about something. Something to do about making mistakes. Do you know of any regrets she might have that could be bothering her?"

Humming, Aubree wracked her brain, trying to think of what could possibly be bothering her mother now. Growing up, her mother was always telling her to be careful, to think before she acted and always consider the consequences. She may have come off a bit stir-crazy, but didn't everyone from time to time?

She continued to sort through her memories as they resumed their walk and eventually shook her head. "No, I can't think of anything."

Stone sniffed and glanced around.

"Are we being followed?" she asked.

"Kind of. The werewolves here patrol their territory well. As an alpha, I admire the strength of Jackson's pack. He takes good care of them and the humans living in their midst. I respect that."

Aubree snorted. "And the girls they take to bed when the urge arises."

"Yes, well," he ran his hand through his hair, "be that as it may, they all came willingly, didn't they?"

She sighed. "Yeah. So, you're not upset about that anymore?"

He shook his head before slipping an arm around her waist and pulling her against him.

She let out a little squeak as he lifted her up a few inches off the ground and planted his lips on her temple.

"You're mine now, and no one can steal you away."

Whiskey barked, his tongue hanging out and tail wagging.

Stone set her down and cocked his head at the dog. "Oh, now you want to play, sir? Can't let me play with your alpha without you too, yes?"

A smile tugged on Aubree's lips as Stone took the leash from her hand and ran forward. Whiskey bound after him, only for Stone to come to an abrupt stop at the corner twenty yards ahead, pivot on his heel as he crouched down before running back to her.

She shook her head in amusement at him when he returned to her side. "Go easy on him. He's not as young and spry as he once was."

"I'm not as young as I once was either, but I'm just as spry as always," he said, giving her a cheeky little grin before he turned again and jogged at a noticeably slower pace. [Race you home.]