III. Chapter 11 | Part 1 - Aubree

Song: "Nightsky" by Tracey Chattaway

----

When darkness took the place of the Goddess' exit, Aubree returned to consciousness.

The crackling of the fire stirred her, making her turn away from the brightness of the flickering flames.

Stone groaned as he roused and scooped her up in his arms from behind. Her back pressed against his hard chest as his nose buried itself in the curve between her neck and shoulder. He inhaled and exhaled sharply at first and began to slow as his tense body relaxed against hers.

She could feel every emotion—anxiety, relief, joy—seep through her skin at his touch on her neck.

The flames of the campfire were burning low as the Spirit Walker sat nearby, poking it with a stick.

"So, you had a nice visit?" he asked, his eyes following the tip of the stick as he stirred the embers. Sparks flew up with a little pop from his prodding.

Aubree felt like a kid again, spending one weekend every summer camping with her father. Her mother never enjoyed camping, but she tolerated it. She liked lounging at the side of the lake of the campsites and working on her tan. Fond memories of being held against her father's chest as they roasted marshmallows flickered in her memory as she watched the flames dance. She had been surrounded in warmth and love then as she was now.

"Yeah," Aubree said as Stone nodded his head, his short stubble scratching her skin. "It was a weird—but good—feeling. It was nice to meet everyone, especially the Goddess."

"Yes, She was the most demanding one of the bunch," Clear Waters said. "You must have done something to offend Her."

He wiggled his eyebrows at them, thereby tugging on the corners of Aubree's lips.

Silence fell among them for a minute before Stone said in a gravely voice, "I rejected Her blessing at first."

He brushed his lips across her collar bone in a gentle caress as his arms tightened an inch around her. Tingles danced across her nape, as his love and affection warmed her.

"That would do it. They get offended easily, you know."

Clear Waters groaned as he rose to his feet. His knee popped, making him grimace. "I'm getting too old for this," he muttered under his breath.

He ran his hand across his weathered face, his eyes drooping with heaviness. "I've prepared a tent for you both to sleep in. It's about a mile out there in the desert to give you both some privacy. I was instructed that you might need it."

As heat flushed her face, Aubree pressed her lips together to conceal her blush. "Thanks."

"Goodnight, you two," Clear Waters said before yawning. "May the path before you be beautiful."

She watched him drag his feet toward the house, exhaustion pressing down heavily on his shoulders.

"How old is he?" she found herself asking Stone in a whisper.

He shrugged. "A couple of centuries."

Pulling away and turning, Aubree looked over her shoulder at Stone to gauge his expression better.

How was it that everyone she met recently was so old?

She heaved a sigh as she settled back against him. "I'm never going to get used to this."

Stone pressed a smile to her neck again. "Wait a century, Love, and then it won't surprise you so much."

Lowering her gaze, she pulled her legs up to her chest and rested her chin on her knees.