III. Chapter 6 | Part 3 - Aubree

While Stone filled them in on the war with the vampires, what happened with Gwen and her recovery, Aubree studied everyone's reactions, especially Laurencius'.

The poor kid turned green and looked about ready to throw up when Stone explained Gwen's injuries and how Aubree helped to bring her back from the edge of death.

Marina tried to comfort him, as did Elena. The luna got up from her seat and stood behind her youngest and wrapped her arms around his narrow shoulders. Marina looked sympathetic, while Elena maintained a blank expression, though her eyes misted over before she closed them and pressed her nose to his hair.

By the time Stone was done talking, even he looked drained, despite his best efforts to appear calm and collected.

Aubree held his hand, feeling his emotions swirl through him as he relived each memory as he explained it. He was much calmer than the previous day. There was no kneeling, but he did lower his gaze and fixated it on the tabletop.

Silence filled the room as everyone took a moment to think about what Stone had told them.

Several glances in Laurencius' direction hinted at the private conversations taking place within the Rosmi Maana Pack as the kid's face alternated from pain, to sadness, to exhaustion before he buried his face in his hands and exhaled loudly.

That seemed to be the end of their discussion as Eramis turned back to Stone and cleared his throat.

"We know what it is like to lose a pup." He turned to Aubree. "We are in debt to you for bringing her soul back to her when it seemed almost lost."

Aubree's heart squeezed. "Of course. I couldn't let her die."

"Your bond with her must be strong."

"It is," Stone said. "The whole pack feels it. It's strong with all of them."

Eramis nodded in understanding.

"What do you propose the next steps be in regards to Laurencius and Guinevere?" Stone asked. "I presume you will want them both to return here after she is well enough to travel?"

"Of course," Eramis said. "Lance will be required to begin his alpha training immediately, along with Gwen. I recall she was Luna for a hundred years when you last visited. Her training will be brief, but Lance will take some time since he is still very young. When he is ready, he and Gwen will be declared Alpha and Luna of the Rosmi Maana Pack."

Dom had been quiet and rigid through most of the discussion, but even Aubree noticed his jaw tighten even more then.

Stone caught it too. "What of Dom?"

Eramis swallowed, his eyes darting away, as Elena lowered her gaze as well. He sighed. "You know a healthy pack needs a mated alpha and a luna."

"What if Dom finds his mate while Laurencius is still in training?" Stone asked.

"You know we can't take that chance."

"But what if he does?" Stone pressed. "Before we discovered that Laurencius and Guinevere are mates, the title was promised to Dom. Now, it has been taken away from him. What if he finds his mate before Laurencius finishes his training? Dom is already trained to be Alpha, would you still deny him the title?"

"Should it happen, we will discuss it then. For now, the title is pending in Lance's favor."

"We would like to propose an alternative solution that would benefit both packs," Stone said.

Eramis raised his brows in question and waited calmly for Stone to continue.

"Should Dom find his mate before Laurencius finishes his training, we would be willing to offer Laurencius the title of Alpha to our pack."