III. Chapter 17 | Part 2 - Aubree

Gavin looked uncomfortable but stayed with her for a few more minutes in silence before clearing his throat.

"Normally, that would have bothered us. Like, make us growl because we're protective of you and your bond with Papa, but the pain in your heart was something else. We felt it too. We know how hard it is to let someone we love go. And I'm sorry he became a vampire. We kept tabs on him for a while and then he disappeared... but we didn't tell you. You were already dealing with a lot of stuff, so we didn't want to worry you about it. We had hoped he went to his parents' house or a friend's house..."

Heaving a sigh, Aubree closed her eyes and leaned back in her chair. Turning her face up to the sky, the morning sun warmed her cheeks as a gentle breeze brushed wisps of hair away from her face. Birdsong twittered in her ears from the forest and a honeybee hummed nearby as it buzzed from one flower to the next.

"It's fine, Gav. Thanks for keeping an eye on him. I know why he did it, so I can't blame him. I just wish I could turn back time and change the way things ended." Her brows furrowed. "If only I had just—"

"Bree," he interrupted, leaning forward in his chair, his elbows on his knees as she opened her eyes, "what you had to do took guts. You loved Dan. No one questions that. Breaking up with him had to be the hardest thing to do because you knew you had to let him go. You knew that ultimately, you would begin to desire Papa more and that would have led to more hurt for both you and Dan. You had to end it, and no matter how you did it, it was going to hurt him."

"I know, but I should have given him more closure. Maybe he wouldn't have listened to Carina? Maybe he would have been okay?"

He shook his head. "If he didn't willing join the vampires thinking it was the only way to save you, then Carina would have kidnapped him and used him to try and get to us that way. The fact that she lured him when he was so vulnerable with promises of getting you back would convince any heartbroken and desperate man—especially if he was told the girl he loved left him against her will. A man will do anything for the ones he loves. That's one thing us lycans can agree on and can admire in humans."

Taking a deep breath, she exhaled it slowly. She knew he was right, and she knew she shouldn't dwell on it. She couldn't turn back time and change what had happened, but she could try and offer Dan some kind of protection using their connections with other packs. Couldn't she? It was worth trying.

"Thanks, Gavin," she said.

"Anytime," he said as Stone opened the sliding door and stepped out.

Concern tugged on his brows as he walked to her, picked her up from the chair before sitting down on it and setting her down on his lap. He wrapped his arms around her waist and buried his nose in the crook of her neck. [What's wrong? I saw your thoughts and felt your pain. What were you two talking about?]

His breath blew against her neck, sending tingles to dance and make her giggle at the tickling sensation.

While Gavin's words had lifted her up a bit, Stone's presence immediately added an additional layer of comfort that soothed away the last of her remorse.

"He was giving me an update on the vampires. Dan's okay for now, but they don't know where he went off to. I just feel bad, like I couldn't protect him when he needed me then, and I can't protect him now that he's gone off somewhere."

He nodded, the thin stubble on his jaw scratching lightly against her shoulder. "Okay."

[You're not jealous, are you?] she asked with a playful note.

He shook his head and pulled away from her neck. Leaning back on the chair, he rubbed small circles into her lower back with his thumbs. [No because I have no reason to feel jealous. You were worried about someone you loved. I understand that and respect that.]