Chapter 37 A Clouded Mind

Beginne am Anfang

         When Mia realized that she had been staring, her eyes slowly fell on the rest. Isabel was sitting in a chair near her own bed where Exsavior was, David was by her side, very quiet with an unmoving expression, and then there was one more person. A girl she did not recognize.

         She bore an oriental mien, and had tribal cloths much like the one’s Exsavior had described before.

        “Oh um, I’m sorry—I believe we have not officially met.” The same girl she was looking at spoke, as she stood with a slight blush and introduced herself.

         “My name is Jasmine. I am the Flower Maiden prodigy of the Mountain Wolves pack,” she said as she held out her hand for Mia to take.

         Responding cordially, Mia accepted the gesture, but still eyed the girl warily. She did not fully understand what was going on.

         “Mia, Jasmine was our guide into the Sierra Reserve. Exsavior must have told you,” Isabel said casually.

         Scratching the back of his head, Exsavior laughed sheepishly. “Uh, we didn’t really talk much about our trip to the Sierra Reserve.”

         Upon hearing this, Jasmine turned to face Exsavior. She closed in the gap between them as her face was inches from his. Her hands flew to her hips in a playful manner.

        “What? Why didn’t you tell them about me, or are you embarrassed for some reason?” Jasmine feigned indignation, as she stared hard into his eyes, making Exsavior feel uncomfortable at their closeness.

         “Uh, um I—” he stuttered with his words, and it made Jasmine back away and laugh.

       “Well whatever the case its fine now I guess, you must have had your reasons.” Her words sounded calm as she smiled faintly—pleased with his discomfort.  

        “I’m pretty sure he just forgot. He is an airhead.” Isabel interjected, making Exsavior laugh nervously.

         “Somehow, I find that easy to believe,” Jasmine added, causing her and Isabel to laugh.

         “Geez can’t a lycan recover in peace,” Exsavior muttered in his own lament at the two girls. Nevertheless, his words brought about a change in Jasmine’s mood.

         “Oh Exsavior, I almost forgot!” she exclaimed jovially, causing surprise amongst those present at her sudden change. “Aside from the books about the Shinto, I brought you something I think you will love.” Jasmine clasped her hands together with a bright smile. She then turned to leave the room in an inhuman speed only werewolves could muster. Either female werewolves were different from males, or the Sierra wolves were much more graceful, since Jasmine’s stride was like watching a gazelle prance with the speed of a vampire.

         It was daunting and beautiful all at once.

        Seconds later, she returned with a piece of clothing in her hands. No one else recognized them except for Exsavior.

         “Wilderness slacks!” he almost yelled with wide eyes similar to when a boy receives a gift he’s been longing for.

         Upon seeing his reaction, Jasmine’s smile grew and her face flushed. She neared the bed, sat down on her chair again, and gave him the piece of clothing.

         Exsavior ogled the tribal pants, and everyone could see how he cherished each of its details, from the tribal arrows stitched on the thighs to the patterns etched onto the end of the slacks. He even caressed the fine material, and then realized something.