10-Depression

Depression is a common but serious mood disorder. It cause severe symptoms that affect how a person feels, thinks, and handles daily activities such as sleeping, eating, and working. To be diagnosed with depression symptoms must be present for at least 2 weeks.

There are other types of Depression:

Persistent Depressive Disorder(dysthymia)-depressed mood lasting for at least 2 years. Person diagnosed may have episodes of major depression along with periods of less severe symptoms

Perinatal Depression-more serious than "baby blues" that many women experience after giving birth. Women with this experience full blown major depression during or after pregnancy. Feelings of extreme sadness, anxiety, and exhaustion may make it difficult for new mothers to complete daily care for themselves and their baby(ies)

Psychotic Depression- occurs when a person has severe depression plus some form of psychosis

Seasonal Affective Disorder-characterized by onset of depression during winter months. Generally lifts during the spring.

Depression symptoms include: Persistent sad, anxious or empty moods, feelings of hopelessness, guilt, worthlessness, helplessness, loss of interest, decreased energy, having trouble sitting still, difficulty concentrating, remembering, sleeping, appetite/ weight change, thoughts of suicide, aches, pains, headaches, cramps, and digestive problems

(www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/depression/index.shtml)

  6.7% (15 million) people in the U.S. population, 18 years and older have depression

(www.adaa.org/about-adaa/press-room/facts-statistics)

 *********************************************************************

Hello. My name is Hayden Bradley and I have depression. Everyone thinks of depression as sadness, but it's much more than that. Depression affects every part of my life and interferes with easy daily activities. I always told myself I would be okay and that it would pass, but it never did. I lost interest in everything I loved to do and found myself asking, " Why do I even try?" Depression is a silent killer. No one chooses to be depressed-it just takes you hostage and doesn't let you go. I want to say my depression started when I was fourteen. Everything changed at home, at school, and within myself. I couldn't explain anything-how I felt or why I did what I did. No one noticed. Then again I faked a smile, a laugh, everything. I started self-harming. It didn't change anything, but it made me feel like I was still human-like I was still alive. I couldn't see what the point of living was and when I couldn't do anything and be happy. My friends started noticing how sad I was and I know it makes them crazy to see me this way. They do everything to see my smile and to hear my laugh. I could laugh and smile, but it was only for the moment. They don't understand. I don't want to be depressed. It's a silent killer.