They stood in the middle of the street for several moments. He repeatedly brushed her hair, whispering words of comfort. And with each shudder and sob, Justin's anger and guilt collided and threatened to erupt again. That wasn't what Sharon needed right now.

But he couldn't help the 'if only's' bombarding him. If only he shook off Latasha earlier. If only he held onto her and stopped her from getting into the car in the first place. If only he remembered they went to school together. If only he cleared up this huge understanding between them. If only he'd put a stop to the rumors.

Justin never thought his classmates were talking about was Sharon. He'd never been into gossip. It was one of the reason why he broke up with his girlfriend then. Also, his family were moving to Florida for his dad's new job. There was so much going on then he barely remember what happened those last few days before he left.

But what twisted his gut was that he started the rumors. It explained a lot. No wonder it felt like there was a schism as wide as the Grand Canyon at times. Before, he didn't mind because Sharon had an element of danger to her that screamed at him to stay away. And he tried to.

Now that he had every intent of ignoring the warning, he was ready to do something stupidly amazing. Stupid because he'd been there before with his ex-wife Rosa. A road that led him to losing both his wife and child to another man. Amazing because, underneath Sharon's calm and collected veneer was a passionate, arousing woman. He couldn't fathom why she would hide that part of herself. But Justin would be glad to be the man to ignite that passion.

He hoped, god he hoped that he could've been that man tonight. But he'd already her once, albeit unknowingly in the past. He wouldn't hurt her again by pushing her and take advantage. For now, his seduction's on hold. First, he'll get her home. Second, if it's not too much, set the truth straight.

He hoped she'll believe him.

Sharon's trembling subsided. He stopped stroking her hair and stepped away. Tilting her chin, he looked down into her glassy brown eyes and cursed again. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," she croaked. Sharon nodded her head and repeated in a firmer voice, "Yes."

A car honked and broke them out of their bubble. Justin put his arms around her shoulder, holding onto her left hand as they walked to the sidewalk. He was about to ask her if he could take her home when she spoke first.

"Justin take me-"

"Home?" There was no question to that. He didn't want to leave her or let him travel by herself after what almost happened. "No prob. Kim had Terrell ask me to."

Sharon shook her head. "No. Drop me off at Kim's. I'll wait up for her there."

Stubborn woman. Justin knew she was trying to act brave but she couldn't possibly think he'd just drop her off and leave. His momma's didn't raise him to be that kind of man. He opened his mouth argue.

But she squeezed his arm and looked at him as if he was the one who needed soothing. "I have a key. I'll be fine. Promise."

When she looked up at him with imploring eyes like that he couldn't help but give her what she wanted. If waiting for Kim was what she needed he can give her that. But he wasn't going to let her do it alone. He'll stay by her side. Even outside the door if he had to. She'd just have to deal with it.

***

Thirty minutes later Sharon sat in a booth by the window in a 24-hour diner on Columbia Pike. Staring out into the darkness for a glimpse of Kim driving past with her car.

From the moment she and Kim left her place to now, Sharon's night had tilted and twirled, until she couldn't tell her up from down. Saying it was a bizarre and embarrassing night was an understatement.