Chapter Ten: The Scientific Process of Codes

-A Few Years Ago-

"Derreck. If there was ever a situation, where I need to tell you something that's incredibly important, but can't be revealed using actual explanations and details, what will we do?" I say, glancing at the impeccably dressed man opposite of me, taking a slow sip of my wine.

"What, you mean like code words or something?" He took a gulp of his own drink, smirking at me as if I was a child, but seemed just as willing to play along.

"Yeah." I nod.

"Okay." Derreck laughed at me, waving over a waiter to refill his drink with a graceful flick of his finger. A young lad scrambled towards us, almost desperate for a wealthy tip.

"Glad we're on the same page."  I put down the napkin on the table, "I already came up with 25."

"Oh yeah? What are they?"

"Okay, so, code one means..."

...

"This is stupid, Chris." Derreck shook his head, chuckling, taking another sip of his drink.

"What? No way! How is it stupid?" I practically shout, attracting the attention of the table next to us, though neither of us cared.

"Lets see, code seven... you were kidnapped by a clown and are being held at ransom for 200,000 balloon animals?" He laughed at the very idea, a disbelieving expression clear on his handsome face; it was like he thought I was joking.

"Hey! It can always happen. There's a reason why clowns are scary."

"I can't decipher whether I should be concerned that it's code 7 out of 25, or that you've thought about this so much."

"We have be optimistic about these things, Derreck. You never know."

"Then what's this.. this.. code 22? Really? Being forced into marrying a mafia boss? Are you joking?"

"Of course I'm not, Derrick! Gosh. Like I just told you, these things can happen and we have to be prepared."

"Yeah sure, whatever, the day this happens is the day I give up drugs."

"Derreck, I know it's your living to sell and distribute, but you really shouldn't get addicted."

"Just because I deal drugs, Chris. Doesn't mean I'm addicted to them."

"Tch. Whatever you say."

"Yeah, well, the day I'm given a golden etched and laced wedding invitation to you and Jackson Kaaz's wedding, will be the day I hand the "business" to Bernard."

"You're probably right."

"Am I?"

"The only time you're ever right, is when you're taking advice from me."

"Okay, okay hotshot. You think you're better than me?"

"Oh I don't think, I know I'm better than you."

"Bring it."

____

Comment

Vote

Follow