❖ Chapter Ten ❖

Start from the beginning

      "You gave up a party full of alcohol and drugs for me?" I asked Evan after school. Apparently there was going to be a party next week, and Evan, being the popular jock he was, got invited. He shot me a look.

       "They don't have drugs at those parties," Evan scoffed, laying down in the grass and propping himself up on his elbows. The two of us were sitting in the school's dark green grass under the bleachers of the football field. I gave him a knowing look. "Okay, so maybe a little weed here and there, but I don't touch that stuff."

        I rolled my eyes. "Sure, sure."

       "I'm serious! Here, smell my breath," he said, kiddingly. I shocked us both by placing my face directly in front of his. Neither of us expected that I would actually let my lips get anywhere near his own. Our gazes locked, but I wasn't going in for a kiss. I placed my nose a few inches away from his parted lips, then took a small whiff of his breath that was lingering within it. Whatever teenage hormones I thought I didn't have before immediately proved me wrong, as I found myself fighting to not ruin anything we had between us by kissing him. He smelled so good, and his mouth looked really inviting . . .

       "So you're not lying to me," I murmured in a calm voice, retreating a bit. He smirked.

       "You smell really nice," Evan replied, his eyes closing. I watched in amusement as his nostrils flared as he took an exaggerating sniff my scent. Something about a guy like Evan, charming, determined, and...okay, I admit it, sexy, taking small whiffs of me made me excited. When the tip of his nose and lips brushed against my lower jaw, I turned my head away from him. I didn't want to, but someone might see us. And I know he would hate it if everyone found out about his sexuality. He never struck me as the type of guy that would prance around, screaming at the top of his lungs that he was the president of the rainbow club. He was more the one who wouldn't care if people found out about his taste in guys, but would prefer it to be confidential. 

       I mumbled a thanks, then laid down on the grass next to him. Just to keep it safe, I put a space between our bodies. Both of us stayed silent, not minding the comfortable silence. I remembered a time where silence meant nothing to me, but nowadays, I find myself wondering about them, and whom I'm sharing them with. Like right now, for example.

        I couldn't help but ponder about what Evan may be thinking. It could be anything from sports to homework to sex to partying. Maybe he's thinking about the substitute's abnormally shaped butt. That was a really disturbing art class, every time she bent over to pick things up off the floor. I think that image had been burned inside my head. You see, that is exactly why I pick males over females. I know, 'larger' men can have abnormally shaped bottoms, too. But most of the time, guys have really good-looking bums. Like Evan, for example.

      I slapped myself mentally for thinking about him in that sort of perverted manner.

      Something about him made the real me come out. The me I haven't seen in several years. The one that liked to go to the arcade with friends, eat chips, sit upside down on the sofa while watching TV. I used to have friends. I used to attract girls. I used to be the person that everyone wanted to be around. But, ever since I was brought to that place, and was used as...a toy, I guess...I changed. I became afraid of everything, lost in a world of darkness. One where I thought everyone and everything was evil, that everyone wanted to hurt me. I couldn't trust people as well as I used to be able to. I turned from the kid everyone wanted to be, to the kid that nobody wanted to even hang out with.

       I turned into a loner and stayed that way, until a guy with soft, warm chocolate brown eyes came into my life. We were bound to happen, I know that for sure now. It must've been destiny for us to meet, to be together, because he had been so successful with me, by getting me out of the dark places, by getting me to talk, by getting me to feel the human touch once again.