Finding You Can Change, Learning You Were Wrong

"Oh, when I was in the village this morning I heard many people talking about my daughter," Maurice told Belle one following morning

"Oh, when I was in the village this morning I heard many people talking about my daughter," Maurice told Belle one following morning. "Only not that she was the 'odd' girl of the village, but instead the 'brave' one who faced a beast." He smiled proudly. "You're a hero Belle, just like in your books."

She smiled too, looking down at her book. "And just like Maman."

He smiled warmly. "Yes."

She closed her book. "Yes, I suppose it was an adventure."

He nodded. "And not only that, but you faced the trials of love as well, perhaps an even greater battle." Then he smiled. "Speaking of, you and Gaston..." His words trailed off, and he eyed her, leaving her to elaborate.

She blushed and tucked a piece of hair behind her ear. "He really has changed. The man I once despised I now find myself in love with." She laughed a little. It sounded even stranger aloud! "It really, truly is a very funny thing, love."

"Yes, indeed it is. Oh, and I'm going to write to the judges from the fair, to thank them again for their offer but that we have decided to stay here."

"Oh, that's right. Oh Papa, I'm sorry, I hope you aren't too crushed."

"My dear, please do not be sorry. I think it's for the best. Besides, need I remind you of your new beau?" He smiled as Belle blushed and smiled.

Then her smile fell. "Papa, I've been wondering, about that..."

"Yes dear?"

"Do you think now that we're courting, now that I've confessed my feelings to him, that Gaston will think that means I want to marry him? And I would like to, eventually, I love him, but I'm just not ready yet..." It had only been a couple of weeks since the beast's attack, and Gaston was still recovering. He couldn't really be thinking about them getting married, could he? But then again, it was Gaston...

"Well I would say, my dear, that the best thing you can do is talk to him about it."

"I thought you might say that. Thank you Papa. I'm still quite new to this whole love thing."

He chuckled. "Of course, dear. Anytime."

She nodded, but then sighed. "But what if it upsets him-"

"Talk to him Belle! And if he loves you as I know he does and you know as well, he'll respect your wishes."

She smiled again. More encouraging words from her wise Papa. "Thank you Papa."

--------------------------------

It was coming up to three weeks since the attack and battle. Gaston was still recovering, but improving every day.

Belle went and visited him every day, keeping him company and making sure he was getting rest as the doctor had insisted. For the most part he was cooperating with the doctor's instructions, but he was still just as stubborn as before.