Ahead of Her Time

Maurice and Belle's evening tradition had begun long ago, even before Belle was born. As a couple, Maurice and Elene would sit before the fire after dinner, she reading aloud to him while he tinkered away at one of his inventions, or sketched a concept for a new one. Belle had been exposed to books starting at a very young age; her mother had taught her to read.

After Elene's death, Maurice and Belle made sure the tradition continued. Now she would be the one to read while he worked on fixing up her mother's dear old music box. And, during that time every evening, it felt as though a part of her were still with them. That was what made it so special.

And also what made Belle so bitter about having Gaston sit in on it - it was personal.

When Gaston strode into the tavern following dinner he found LeFou and some of the other men playing cards. LeFou waved as he came over.

"So, how'd it go?" LeFou asked.

"Oh LeFou, it was wonderful! I'm growing on the old man I can tell."

"Good, good. But how about the girl, the prize?"

"I'm getting there, but she's certainly not being easy about it. And the reading-" Gaston collapsed dramatically into his chair before the fire. "That's all she ever does! And why does it have to be reading of all things?" he sighed.

"Hmmm, having second thoughts are we?"

"No, of course not. I want Belle - and I always get what I want."

--------------------------------

"What's that you've got there?" Maurice asked as he watched his daughter scribbling away on a scrap of paper.

Belle looked up and smiled. "I had an idea for an invention."

"Oh! May I see?" Her father took the drawing and studied it. He smiled. "Ooo, a washing machine. Look at you. I might have some competition here soon!"

Belle smiled. "Well I've learned from the best."

Maurice had decided to make a short trip into the next town over to look for some pieces he could add to his machine that could not be found here. He saddled up Philippe and packed for a couple of days away.

Belle handed him the lunch she had made for his journey. "Be careful Papa."

He chuckled. "You know I think you worry yourself too much over me."

"Of course I worry. And especially with the rumours going around-"

"Ah yes, that there is some wild creature attacking farms at night and then vanishing, no one's seen it." He shook his head.

"Just please be careful."

"I will," he assured her. He gave her a kiss on the forehead before mounting Phillipe. "Take care while I'm gone!" he called as he rode away.

Belle began with her morning chores. First on the list: laundry. She gathered the pieces she needed and assembled her simple little washing machine: a barrel that spun around and washed the clothes. All she had to do was sit and wait for the clothes to be cleaned.

She set up her machine at the fountain where the women and girls of the village always did the washing. At the moment it was unoccupied besides Belle and a younger girl.

Belle sat off to the side where she could keep an eye on the machine and opened her book.

"What are you doing?"

Belle looked up and smiled over at the girl. "The laundry."

"But you're reading."

"Well I suppose I'm doing both." She paused. "Do you like reading?"

The girl shrugged. "Not really. The only books we have are my brother's schoolbooks."

"Well this is much more interesting than a schoolbook, I promise." She gestured for the girl to come join her.

She did, and they spent the next half hour reading together. Belle taught her the basics and even had her reading simple sentences by the end.

"That was amazing!" Belle cried after hearing the girl, Emilie, read aloud. The two shared a proud smile.

"What on earth are you doing?" The gruff voice of the headmaster cut in. "Isn't one girl who reads in this village enough?"

Emilie hung her head, collected her own washing, and left.

"What is that?" Now a crowd of people had gathered around the fountain, noticing the strange machine.

"It's my washing machine," Belle said proudly, trying not to sound too crushed.

"Where did you ever come by it?"

"I made it."

"You made it?"

"Someone get rid of it, she's taking up the whole fountain with that thing."

Before she knew it, the villagers had disassembled her invention and were dumping her clean laundry all over the ground. Belle was shocked; how could they possibly act this way, so rude? She fell to her knees and began collecting her laundry, cheeks flaming.

A figure knelt down at her side and began to help. It was Père Robert. Belle gave him a small smile of thanks.

Meanwhile, nearby at the hat shop, someone was admiring their reflection in the mirror, oblivious to the happenings at the fountain. "You really are the most gorgeous thing I have ever seen," Gaston told himself.

"Oh, shall I leave you and the mirror alone for a moment?" LeFou appeared in the reflection.

Gaston appeared annoyed. "What is it LeFou?"

"I came to tell you that a certain damsel in distress is in need of a dashing hero - Belle had some trouble at the fountain."

Gaston grinned and turned back to check his reflection once more. " Well then, her dashing hero is on his way. It's hero time."

(Ah man during that scene of him in the trailer I thought he was talking to Belle saying she was the most gorgeous thing he had ever seen and I was like 'aww, that's actually so nice!' But it was him he was talking about 😂 Too good! I love how he flirts with himself in the mirror. Thanks for reading!)