Confession

"Père Robert, take the women, children, wounded, and elderly to the chapel, and give them food, warmth, medical assistance, whatever they need

"Père Robert, take the women, children, wounded, and elderly to the chapel, and give them food, warmth, medical assistance, whatever they need." Gaston was giving orders to everyone while they readied themselves for the night ahead. "Men, our priority is to find the creature and keep it away from our village by any means necessary." The men were quick to oblige as they rushed to the defense of their village, by orders of the captain.

The chaplain had quickly obeyed his orders and Gaston observed the chapel which had quickly been transformed into a medical wing, much like those he had seen during the war, and where he had spent some of his time. There was Madame LeBlanc carrying a stack of blankets, and there were Belle and Maurice helping too.

Belle noticed him and caught up to him. "I have heard some of the women discussing wanting to join the men in the hunt, to avenge their lost villagers and homes in the attack. I think you should let them go."

He walked with a brisk stride, one she nearly had to jog to keep up with."The battlefield is no place for women," he answered. He held his hands clasped behind his back in a very solider-like fashion and held himself very tall and upright.

She continued to hurry to keep up with his long strides. "The battlefield is no place for anyone." Now she stood in front of him, blocking his path. "And this isn't a war Gaston, this is different-"

"It's not different. And yes, it is a war-" He strode right past her.

"Maybe if you would just stop and listen-"

He stopped and turned on her. "No, you listen," he practically snapped. Then he sighed and shook his head firmly, his tone softening a little when he next spoke. "No. The women, children, and elderly will stay here where it is safe. As Captain and head hunter of this village my job is to ensure the safety of the villagers, and that won't happen if we have people running off. And you will stay here with them - that is an order." He knew how much she hated being told what to do, especially by him, but he needed to know she was safe. He couldn't be distracted worrying for her safety while trying to focus on the task at hand.

"And what if I don't?"

Was she really going to do this now? He gave a frustrated sigh. He could sense another one of their arguments brewing, and there was no time for an argument now. "You will. I need you to."

"You just don't want to admit that you'd like my help, like with the wolf attack."

He sighed and gritted his teeth. "That is not true-"

"Oh really?" Her voice was rising. It didn't sound as though she believed him. "Then why?" she demanded.

"BECAUSE I LOVE YOU BELLE!" His shout, heard only by them during the commotion, shocked her into a wide-eyed jaw-agape silence. She stared up at him. Had he really just said what she thought he had? Had the words really come out of his mouth?

Again he sighed, softening his voice. "That is why. Yes, before, all I wanted was to marry you, but now you've taught me what it really is to love someone. I thought I loved you before, but that wasn't love, not what you deserve. But now-" His words trailed off. "Please, please just stay here where I know you are safe." And with that he was gone, leaving Belle standing still as a statue, utterly shocked.

"What happened?" Maurice questioned of his daughter's stunned look. He had seen her and Gaston speaking just moments before.

Belle blinked, still in shock. "H-he said he loved me."

(😱 Haha so what did you think? Thanks so much for reading!)