Chapter 17: Unknown

Tobin looked around the hotel room for a mere 10 short seconds before turning to Alex.

"Hey I think I lost my wallet somewhere at the mall, can you maybe go look for it while I look here in the hotel?" Tobin asked.

Alex looked at her with worry before replying. "Yeah sure, I'll be back as soon as I can." She kissed Tobin's cheek.

When Tobin heard the door close, she quickly went to her safe, punching in the code so fast she thought she got it wrong but felt relieved when the safe clicked signaling it can be opened. She turned the lock hurriedly and took out her gun, checking for ammo quickly before holding it in front of her.

"I know you're here." She started. "You should come out here before I go in there." She threatened. It was silent for a few moments before the agent heard the door lock turn, and the door being opened.

Ashlyn walked out slowly with her hands up.

"Ash?" Tobin asked. "What the hell are you doing here?" She whisper yelled and holstered her gun.

"We need to talk." The short haired girl said before silently walking past Tobin towards the porch.

--------------------------------------------

The two agents both leaned over the railing, watching the view.

"You like her." Ashlyn said.

It wasn't a question. It was a statement and Tobin stayed silent, confirming what Ashlyn already knew.

"You can't. You just can't."

"Don't you think I know that, Ash?" Tobin sounded frustrated. "I tried. I really did. I tried to stay away but- she's like this thing that I can't not get attached to and I tried so hard."

"You know that whatever you have going on with her can't be real. It just can't. With what you do for work and the fact that she's married! It can't happen." Ashlyn said.

"I know." Tobin said. She knew Ashlyn was right. But she can't just let Alex go. She can't just say goodbye. Not like this at least.

"You need to tell her." Ashlyn looked at the sky. "You need to tell her and end it."

"I can't do that." Tobin put her head down.

"Why not?" Ashlyn said, sounding pissed.

"I don't think I've ever felt this way about someone." The younger girl confessed in a quiet voice. "Have you told Hope?" Tobin asked worriedly.

"Of course not man. I wouldn't do that to you."

Tobin was silent for a moment before responding. "Thank you."

They both didn't know what to say next. Opting to stay quiet before saying something they would regret. Finally, Ashlyn decided to speak up again.

"So what are you going to do now?"

"I'll fix this."

"How?" Ashlyn asked. "You're going to break it off right?"

"Tell hope." Tobin said.

"What?" Ash asked.

"You heard me Harris. Tell her but don't tell her that I know you know. Just tell her you found out I got emotionally involved. She'll know what to do." Right as Tobin finished her sentence, her phone vibrated signaling she received a text.