(30) Finding the Sweeter Side

“How am I looking doc?”

Daryl was still kneeling down next to my outstretched legs, cleaning off a section before looking it over. “A little spit here and you’ll be just fine.”

I scrunched my nose at him in disgust. “Well that doesn’t sound very sanitary.”

“Well you’re the one that asked me to fix ya’ up and so deal with it.” Daryl lifted the cloth up to his mouth and did exactly what he had threatened to do. He then rubbed the last bit of dirt off of one of my calves before dropping the cloth and taking a seat on the floor of the ‘Tank’.

“If my leg falls off because of that I swear I’m going to hurt you.” I threatened and looked down at my bandaged up legs.

Daryl had cut my pants into shorts so that he could fix me up properly. He only ended up giving me thirteen stiches and what he hadn’t stitched was bandaged with cloth and medical tape. My arms and torso were covered with a few minor scrapes but my legs had taken the brunt of my injuries. Now that they were fixed I felt a little at ease.

“How are you holding up?” I asked.

“Fine.” He grunted.

“No scratches I should know about?”

“None that are worth worrying ‘bout.” He gestured over to my legs. “Hershel’s gonna want to take a look at that when we get back.” He reminded me again.

“I know.” I let out a sigh and ran my hand through my hair. “I’m just hoping that he’s all I have to worry about.”

Daryl tapped his boot against my foot. “I’m sure the group will be happy that you’ve found Adam but they won’t accept him. Not after what he’s done.” He grumbled referring back to how Adam had killed his companion so that we could escape.

“If they don’t want him to stay that’s fine.” I sighed leaning against the armrest.

“That’s not fine.” Daryl snapped. “The group’s not going to like you leaving.”

“The group?” I raised an eyebrow to that. “Or do you mean Rick?”

His voice became harder. “The group’s not going to like it. You’re one of us.”

I scoffed at that. “Sure hasn’t felt like it.”

“Rick’s been a little hard on ya’ but after what he’s been through...”He let it drop and reached a hand up to scratch his arm.

He hadn’t been referring to when we had lost the Greene’s farm and it irked me. “Shane tried to kill me too Daryl, more than once and you don’t see me freaking out every time Rick tries to leave the caravan.”

“Shane was his best friend.” He reminded. “Fucks a guy like him up more than ya’.”

“I’m sure it did but that doesn’t excuse Rick from everything.” I pointed out. “Like when I wanted to leave to find my brother he flipped and tried to force me to stay.”

Daryl moved from the floor to the seat next to me. “He doesn’t want the group separated again. With Walkers and Bryan out there it’s no wonder why.”

“Is that really the only reason? Or does he not want me to leave because I have an armored car filled with weapons?” I warily asked.

He shifted uncomfortably in his seat. “How the hell am I supposed to know?”

“Because he told you.” I ground my teeth together in annoyance. “Don’t think I’ve forgotten about your hushed conversation.”

“I’m surprised yer’ ‘trained ears’ didn’t pick it up.” He sneered.