(24) Finding a Place to Stay

We drove until the sky turned a deep rusty color and the wind carried a fierce bite. The lead car that was driven by Rick honked twice before pulling off to the side of the road near a rundown building. Tall grasses and weeds plastered themselves against the brown stained building and curled about halfway up to the windows, making it obvious that this building had been abandoned long before the apocalypse.

“You don’t think Rick is going to have us staying in that thing tonight…do ya’?” I turned and asked Daryl.

He lifted his arms up high above his head as he stretched and peered over at the building. “Looks like it.”

I felt my nose scrunch up in disgust and looked over at the building again. “I’m not going.”

“Don’t be such a pansy.” He grunted and reached behind his seat for his crossbow when we noticed that the rest of the group was starting to get out of their cars.

“I’m not being a pansy.” I retorted. “I just don’t want to sleep in some dusty vermin ridden building.”

“Ya’ know I think I saw a nice hotel about a mile back. I hear the pillows are made out of feathers and the sheets are as soft as a baby’s tush.” He spat sarcastically.

“Asshole.” I sneered over at him.

He shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly then pried open his door. “I want to get this building cleared before its completely dark out so hurry your ass up.”

I reached behind my seat and grabbed my archery bow and bag of arrows along with a spare hunting knife, since I had lost last one back at the farm; before following Daryl out of my ‘tank’. A light breeze skimmed over my skin as soon as I stepped outside and the cold bite of it reminded me just how close winter was getting. Without thinking twice about it I reached back into my ‘tank’ and slugged on my worn in leather jacket.

“Are ya’ coming anytime today?” Daryl called out and I looked over my shoulder to see him already standing with the rest of the group. I frowned over at him and resisted the childish urge to stick my tongue out at him.

“I’m coming!” I snapped back and quickly made my way over to them.

Carol’s light twitch in both of the corners of her lips caught my attention as I walked over to them and I cocked my head to the side at her in a silent ‘What?’. She gave her head a little shake as if to say ‘Nothing’ and then looked back over at Rick as he addressed the group.

“We’ll rest here for the night and then pick up again at first light.” He shifted his weight onto his other foot and scanned everyone’s faces, searching for any hint of uncertainty. When he noticed none he continued on, “Daryl and me are going to go scope out the place, the rest of you can go grab what you need for the night. Travel light, I want to get back on the road again in the morning as quickly as possible.”

“Do you really think it’s safe to stay here for the night?” Lori asked Rick worriedly as she pulled Carl closer.

Rick scratched the scruff on his chin. “It’s not near any main roads or towns. It the safest place we’re going to come across for a while.”

“Why not just stick to the roads?” Glenn looked over at Maggie and then back to Rick. “Sleep in the cars and drive on through.”

Rick gave a little shake of his head instantly. “We’ve all been awake for three whole days. Either we take the rest now while we can or regret not taking it later. We’re staying so grab what you need and wait here until I give the ‘okay’.” Rick looked over at Daryl, notched his chin up a little and they both started heading over to the building.