[17]

//Never knock - Kevin Garrett//

I stood in the shower with the burning water hitting my back. I thoroughly rub my eyes after I feel a slight stinging behind my irises.

I'm not going to cry

I'm done with crying

I turned off the water, reached out for a towel that was hanging on a hanger and then wrapped it around my dripping body. Cautiously, I stepped out of the tub and onto the fuzzy bath mat.

I dry myself down and then put on the clothes I brought into the washroom; undergarments and my dreaded school uniform.

I made a deal with my dad, to finally try and go back to school.

I wrapped my hair in the same towel before using my palm to wipe the fog off of the mirror.

I stood there just taking in my appearance. The whites of my eyes were no longer the usual colour, they were a soft, hazy pink. I'm convinced they will stay that way forever. My eyelids were puffy from water retention and so were my lips.

I took a strong breath in and slowly let it out.

I can do this

I walked into my bedroom and grabbed my backpack before putting on my brown shoes. I quickly walked out the front door hoping that I won't change my mind.

The walk to school was too soon for comfort. A bubble of anxiety rose in my chest as I stepped onto school property.

Walking down the halls felt like there was glass under my feet and the whispers that filled the school felt like a swarm of bees.

"Hey Amelia," Ivy said, she was leaning against my locker, most likely waiting for me.

"Hey," I fidgeted with my fingers as I got closer to them.

"We're glad you're here," Mason smiled. He was standing beside her.

"Thanks," I said quietly as I opened my locker. "How'd you know I was coming today?" Why else would they be waiting at my locker?

They looked at each other before Ivy blurred out "Your dad told us!"

I slammed my locker closed.

"What?!" I looked at them

"Only we know," Ivy reassured.

I rested my head against my locker "You've got to be kidding," I groaned. I don't want any more attention headed my way. "Does he know?"

The bell rings, cutting off their answer. I let out a sigh as Mason pulls me into a warm hug before saying "You can do this."

"Today will be good," Ivy encouraged as the disappeared into the crowd of students wanting to get to first period.

I tightened my grip around my binder before feeding into the rush.

When I got to class I was faced with a bunch of stares. They didn't stare at me; they stared past me as if I was nothing.

"Hey Amelia!" A friendly girl said as I sat down in my seat. "How are you feeling?" She asked gently as if she was trying to not rub me the wrong way.

"I'm okay, how are you?" I asked as I opened my binder and she arched through my papers.

"I'm good," she dragged on. "Hey can I ask you something?"

I didn't say anything hoping she would get the message but she added on.

"How do you get over it?" she whispered.

"What?"

"It's just that I would be so heartbroken if my boyfriend was cheating on me."

"Wh-" I croaked out and clenched my fists.

"Leave her alone, Millie" another girl said. "She's obviously still upset over Ethan lying to her," she scoffed as if I wasn't there.

I stood up slowly. "I-I'm..." I forced out.

I looked around and saw people glancing at me, once again.

My chest rose and fell at a rapid pace.

I'm suffocating.

"She's going to pass out!" some kid yelled.

I ran.

I ran out of the room.

I ran down the halls.

Get me out of here

I found my way up to the roof. As soon as the wind filled my lungs I calmed down, The walls were no longer closing in on me. The bright sky warmed up my icy skin.

I open my eyes and immediately wanted to close them.

I whispered so quiet I couldn't even hear myself. "Ethan...". he was leaning on the railing, looking upon the school grounds.

As the doors finally closed behind me, he turned his head to the startling noise.

His eyes widened.

I commanded my legs to move but they couldn't, I couldn't.

His lips parted "Amelia..." staring at me in awe. His uniform shirt softly flickered because of the wind.

He wore a tie today. He never wears ties unless its for special occasions.

He was about 15 feet away and I could see his bottom lip quiver.

"No," I breathed out.

His brows knit together and he moved closer to me, he had a white rose in his grip.

"Stay away!" I choked out as the wind threw my hair around.

"Please let me explai-"

"I said stay away!" I shouted as tears fell down my cheeks and onto the ground. I turned and ran back the way I came.

"Amelia!" Ethan shouted after me.

I ran and ran and ran all the way back to my house. Not bothering to get my stuff from the classroom. I told my dad I would try, and that's what I did.

-----

BIG THANK YOU TO @regionalatethan FOR HELPING ME AND GIVING ME SUCH GREAT IDEAS TO WORK WITH. And yooooooooooo 4K holy damN I appreciate you guys so so so much. COMMENT IF YOU GUYS WOULD LIKE A CHARACTER Q+A AFTER THIS BOOK IS DONE !