“What? Oh, not really.”

We chatted about nothing in particular until we reached the music room. Ellie stood waiting, when she saw us her eyes widened. I waved.

When she didn’t wave back, I turned to Matt. “There’s Ellie. I should probably go…”

“Oh yeah sure. See you later?”

I nodded, and watched him walk over to his group of friends. I couldn’t understand how I never noticed him before.

Ellie pulled my arm sharply. “Oh My God! That was Matthew Hudson!”

“Uh, yeah…?” I said, confused.

“He’s popular, fit and talented! And he spoke to you! How come all the fit, popular, talented guys talk to you?!” She said, in a rush.

“Uh, I don’t know…” I said.

“Well, of course you do. You’re stunning. Of course they will talk to you.” She grumbled, slumping her shoulders.

I shook my head, vigorously. “What? No I’m not… And besides you’re pretty too!”

“No, not really… Anyway, what did you talk about and how did you meet? Tell. Me. E-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g.” She said, linking her arm with mine as we walked into the classroom.

I told her the story, as we walked to the back of the room. Only pausing to giggle when Matt winked at me. It was only when I sat down, I realised that Liam was absent again. I didn’t care.

“So Guys. Today we are working in the studios, so please follow me. Quietly.” Mr Hudson said, turning towards the door.

Excitement spread through the class and everyone got up and followed him out of the room.

“What are the studios?” I whispered to Ellie as we got up.

“They are rooms that people practice in.” She said, excitedly. “They are so cool! They’re sound-proofed and everything!”

“Cool. How many are there?” I asked.

“Loads! We get one for each pair!” She answered, as we reached a long corridor with loads of door leading off it. 

“Okay. Line up!” Mr Hudson shouted, trying to tame his class. We all lined up, eager to get started.

Me and Ellie stood at the back of the line, so eventually, when we reached the front, our impatience was worn thin.

Mr Hudson handed me a key. “Number Twelve. You know where you’re going?”

Ellie nodded and dragged me down the hall, I just followed along unsure of what was going on. She stopped in front of a door, with 12 painted in red letters.