Regaining Confidence

As if being away from one another wasn't bad enough after losing a game, his wife loses two awards, which a lot of people knew she deserved most. Mike felt his heart break at the sound of Carrie crying at the end of the other line, at least their son is with him but Carrie has no one.

Her husband's comforting words used to be enough, but right now it was the contrary. She actually thought she had the awards. All year she had been working hard, thinking that maybe, maybe if she worked a little harder every time then people would see that she is deserving, but she was wrong.

"I love you." Mike said, after hearing Carrie request that they hang up so she can rest. "Isaiah and I loves you so so much."

Carrie smiled at the sound of Mike's sincerity. "I love you too. I'll see you two in a few days." Once she hang up, she took a deep breath and lied down on the hotel bed with the covers up on her chin.

Mike glanced back at their sleeping son before returning to their bedroom, sending a message to his wife before sleeping himself.

Carrie smiled to herself, reading a text message from her husband, she didn't bother to reply though, it seems like all energy had been sucked out of her.

Melissa knocked on Carrie's hotel room door, hearing her respond with a short, slightly shouted 'coming'. "Hey, girl we thought it'd be nice to go out to dinner tonight," she said once Carrie opened the door and pointed to her back where Carrie's band and crew were standing with bright smiles on their faces. "Marina's treat." She joked, finishing her sentence.

Carrie forced a huge smile, trying to think of a way to decline the offer, though the happy faces that were expecting her to be with them and celebrate even though there's really nothing for her to celebrate, made her accept the invitation.

The whole CU team went out for drinks and food and before everyone knew it, they were leaving for the hotel, all of which had one too many drinks including the country singer.

"Thanks, you guys I had so much fun!" Carrie slurred, pertaining to their whole group, oblivious to the fact that it was only her and her makeup artist left while everyone was already either on the tour bus or on their hotel rooms.

"I'm sure you did." Melissa, the only one who managed not to get drunk answered and chuckled. "But it's time for bed now." She knew Carrie had a rough night, other than Carrie weeping her eyes out at the bar, whining about losing, she can always see through the singer, with the help of knowing her for a decade now.

"But I'm not tired yet." Carrie pouted.

"Yes, you are." Melissa helped Carrie with the key card and ushered her inside. "Can you take it from here or do you still need me to help you change?"

"I'm good." Carrie gave her two thumbs up before letting herself fall back on the bed, immediately drifting into a deep sleep.

Mike knocked on the door twice, Isaiah was sleeping on his shoulder, with their duffle bag on the ground as they waited for someone to answer the door.

Carrie was at a loss for words once she saw who was standing at the door. She rubbed the sleep away from her eyes making sure she wasn't hallucinating and it was really her husband and son standing in front of her.

"Hi." Mike croaked a smile. "Good morning. Are you going to let us in?" He chuckled, seeing his wife come to her senses and carelessly threw her arms around them, waking Isaiah up in the process.

"Oh my gosh." Carrie could feel the tears stinging her eyes again and she quickly pulled them inside. "Hi baby boy." She took Isaiah from Mike and kissed him all over his face. "Hi to you too." She finally acknowledged Mike, kissing him on the cheek. "What are you doing here?"

"We missed you." Melissa had called him the night before and told him about Carrie being so broken about the award show and what happened when they went out. "How are you feeling?"

"Don't you have a game?" Carrie ignored Mike's question, seeing Isaiah fall right back asleep so she tucked him in the bed.

"Come here." He instructed, opening his arms wide and enveloped her into a tight hug. "I love you very much and I'm so so proud of you and everything you have accomplished." He whispered in her ear and felt her start to shake in his arms. "You are the most hardworking person I know and you deserve to have everything. I'm so thankful to have you in my life and I couldn't ask for anything better. You're perfect and no one can say otherwise."

Carrie looked up at him, with another batch of tears streaming down her face. "I love you. Thank you for everything."

"No," Mike shook his head and took her face in his palms, wiping the tears with his thumbs. "Thank you." He planted a kiss on her forehead and smiled down at her. "Now  why don't we go back to bed and sleep for a couple of more hours?"