The Substitute (Flash Fic)

Carrie peacefully sat on one of the bar stools with her drink on her hand. It was rare that she was out alone and she was thankful that tonight she was. And although loud music was playing in the background, her mind was clear. She was happy. And the cause of that happiness pushed her to celebrate. She was finally free. Free from the man she thought she loved. Who she thought loved her.

"Excuse me, is this seat taken?" A brunette, tall guy asked her.

"No." She responded shortly, returning his smile before focusing on her drink which was almost empty.

"Can I have a glass of water please?"

That statement caught Carrie's attention and she almost laughed at the guy who just sat beside her. "Water, really?" She asked, chuckling turning her gaze on the man.

"Why, is drinking water a crime now?" The man retorted, smirking. When Carrie just shook her head laughing, he laughed too. "I'm Mike." He held out his hand which was immediately shook by Carrie. "Mike Fisher."

"Carrie Underwood." The blonde grinned, finally withdrawing her hands from his. "But really, just water? Why didn't you just stay at your home and drank water there instead?"

Mike shrugged, finally receiving the glass of water he just ordered. "Don't you have company?"

Carrie shook her head. "What about you?"

"No."

"So what are you doing here?"

Mike flashed her another smile. "Do I look that interesting?"

Carrie shrugged. "I just want to know."

"Can I buy you drink first?" He offered, just noticing that her glass is how empty.

"No, I'm good."

"Eh, okay then." He chuckled. "Well, I don't know where to start, actually." Suddenly he became nervous. "I just got fired from work and I caught my girlfriend cheating on me." He shook his head, looking down.

Carrie had her hand over her mouth. "Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that."

"Eh, it's fine." He chuckled. "I was actually getting bored of my job. Being fired from it gives me a reason to go back home."

"Home?"

"Canada." He smiled. "All of my family and relatives are there, I don't even know now why moved here."

Even though Carrie finds it somewhat odd that Mike is talking about his life to her, it somewhat entertained her. Though a familiar voice calling her name had caught her ears, and indeed it was Travis. He was walking towards her direction and her nerves become rushing so she did what came into her mind first, she kissed Mike.

"What are you doing?" Mike asked, trying to pull away only to have Carrie tighten her arms around his neck, and soon he was returning her kisses.

"Sorry." Carrie pulled away, swallowing hard and unable to look at the man in front of her.

"What just happened?"

"I saw my ex-boyfriend and he was calling my name just a few seconds before I um, kissed you." She answered. "We just broke up today and I don't want to deal with him and I didn't know what else to do except that. Cause if I ran, he'll maybe take after me, if I ignored him, he'll make a scene, and if I did what I did there's a possibility that he'll think he just saw someone that looks like me. Sorry again."

"That's fine, it seemed to have worked, right?" Mike just smiled, but in his head, he couldn't get the thought of Carrie's soft lips molding with his and how it felt so right.

"Yeah, true." Carrie smiled sheepishly.

Mike glanced at his watch, although he just got there, he could tell that Carrie had been there for a long time. "As your substitute boyfriend, I think it's just right to take you to your home now, it's getting late."

Carrie nodded and stood up and let Mike guide her outside the club. "Um my car is parked right there."

"Oh right, of course." Mike chuckled, but mentally hitting himself for not thinking about Carrie actually driving.

"Well, thank you for the drink and tonight, I had fun talking with you." Carrie smiled as they stood outside the driver's side of the car.

"No problem." Mike returned her smile. "I had fun too, but promise you won't be kissing any more guys in random clubs."

The statement made Carrie blush and look down. "Promise." She raised her right hand. "Well, call me sometime, I'd love to be your friend." She said, handing him her calling card before kissing him on the cheek and got in her vehicle.

Mike nodded and waved as he watched her drive out of the parking lot. "Drive safe! -substitute boyfriend" He sent her a quick text before going home himself.