Chapter SeventySeven

We needed to talk about some serious stuff, but for now I was avoiding it. I tried to avoid the topics that I knew would result in an argument or a long deep discussion. I just wanted some peace.

I let Aubrey stay for a little while longer, but I knew that I'd have to come to reality soon. He seemed serious today.

He was in one of his moods, and he seemed like it wasn't going to let up soon.

I sat Indian style on the bed, a large t-shirt, and my hair in a messy bun. That day I had been organizing the work I had to finish and my work schedule.

Aubrey came into the room and sat next to me on the bed, a cup of hot tea in his hand. I watched as he moved toward me. His face void of emotion, almost absentmindedly. I could tell he had been thinking about something.

"Here." He said, handing me the glass cup. I brought the tea to my lips and smiled.

"Thank you Aubrey." I nodded, and adjusted my glasses with the other hand.

We stared at each other for a few more seconds before I handed the cup back to him.

"What is it? What's been on your mind all day?" I asked him. It was getting uncomfortable because I could see the gears churning in his head, but he was careful not to say anything to me.

"It's nothing." He said before putting the cup down on the night stand.

I closed my laptop, so that I could give him my undivided attention. "I know you. Tell me what it is." His eyes were staring into mine, but I still couldn't decide what emotion he was feeling.

"Do you remember when we were talking just before I left for Canada?" He asked.

"We spoke about a lot of things. When specifically?" I questioned, hoping there was some kind of end to this guessing game.

"In the cabin. Do you remember what we talked about?" He asked and I thought long and hard about that weekend in the cabin.

"I remember. Yes." I assured him.

"Now that I've given you some time to think about it. How do you feel about what was asked?" He asked taking one of my hands in his.

"What are you saying Aubrey?" I asked. He was not saying what I thought he was.

"Move in with me." He said after thinking about his words for a few minutes.

I winced at his outburst. He was serious, but I couldn't understand why he'd say something like that.

I tilted my head in confusion. "But we..."

"When I come back from Toronto, I want for us to move in together. You're old enough, you're graduating in May, and soon we don't have to rely on our parents for anything."

I sat up, rolling off Aubrey's body, thinking of his request. "Aubrey.... I want that, more than anything, but we can't.."

"Why not?" He asked, following my actions. He sat up straight now, observing my reactions with his dark brown eyes.

I struggled to find the words to say, to convey the message without inciting an unnecessary argument. "Aubrey." I sighed.