Chapter 31

"What's wrong?" Miku questions, walking into my room dripping wet from the rain. The nurse walks up to her, holding her clipboard and evaluating some sort of information. "She had fainted and had a friend drop her off." The nurse then proceeds to walk out, promting Miku to look at me. I blush, horrid by that idea. How often have I fainted this year alone? "Is everything okay, Rin?" Miku says, concern overwriting her face. I bite my inner cheek, unsure how to respond. Honestly, I don't feel so well just by thinking about it all.

"It's... Just the weather," I say, and I watch as the nurse walks away. "I'm glad you called me, then. Want me to go buy you a water bottle? Maybe a snack from the nearest shop?"

I shake my head.

"I just want your company. Please," I plea, feeling my hands tremble. Miku nods and sits on the gurney that I was on. "Anything for you," Miku says, squeezing my balled up fist in her own hands. "I... I love you, Miku." I say, looking at her hand on mine.

Miku chuckles, and I look at her. She smiles sweetly, so innocently, that I had to force myself not to cry. She doesn't know of that night. She's still so naive. So... Miku.

"And I love you, Rin. Is there anything else that you need? I'm willing to buy anything for you. I even brought that wallet you said that you liked" Miku says, showing off the rainbow cat wallet I admired. I look towards the door, and felt my mouth dry. "Some water, please." I say, looking at Miku solemnly. She nods, hops off the gurney, and ambles out the room to get me what I requested. I look down to my hands as if I was praying.

She was a rape victim of Jake's. That's what happened. That's why I fainted. And she is continuing to live her life, so innocently, so cheerfully, I don't know what to say. Of course I've seen her cry, but she always pushed herself back up again. Whenever she hit a low, she hit a new high. That's who she is... on the outside, at least.

A part of me wishes to interrogate Len, ask him why he had sex with her. Another part of me wishes to let go of the fact that so many other hands have touched my Miku, and just accept that at least Miku is okay... for the most part. Dr Yakashima was right- with me dating this girl, she's farthest away from contacting a disease. Thank goodness she hasn't.

So then why am I so sad?

If she can be happy, why can't I?

Soon enough, Miku comes back with a water bottle in hand.

"Here you go, princess." She says happily, and I take the bottle eagerly. "Ah, thanks." I say, and she smiles. "Anything else you need?" She asks, and I had to smile appreciatively at how attentive she's acting to help me. "No, no, that's all." I say, and Miku plops back onto the gurney.

"I had asked the nurse, and she said I could stay here with you until you are dismissed. Isn't that cool?" Miku says happily, and I nod. I take a swig of my water bottle, set it aside, and hug Miku closely. "Thank you," I say, feeling my heart flutter.

"You're welcome." Miku says, and that's when I started to cry. My clutch on Miku grew tighter, and so did my tears.

"Oh no, did I say something?" Miku says, lifting me back from the hug. "No, it's just... You're so wonderful," I say, making Miku look confused. "Oh... No, no, Rin, don't cry because of that! I'm not that special--" I shake my head, and cup her cheeks. "Stop. Saying. That." I say, looking into her eyes. Her irises were small, thus revealing her beautiful bluish green eyes and her long dark green lashes. They just make me melt...

"I... I'm sorry?" Miku says, smiling awkwardly. "Rin, what's gotten into you? You pass out blank, end up in the hospital, and now you're crying?" She says, and I wipe my face. "It's just... you're so magnificent... I don't deserve you." I say, feeling myself blush at my own compliment. "I could say the same thing about you and you'd want to shut me up." Miku says jokingly, and I laugh.