Chapter 42

Sayuri's instincts were definitely correct. Aomine and Momoi's competitive side came out and it was a long game of cards. Momoi had the upper hand though, she was very observant and clever, able to read Aomine thoroughly. Sayuri's did her best to stay in game, but she lacked the competitive nature of the other members of the game. So she wasn't as fired up as everyone else. Aomine and Momoi shot insult after insult to each other. Sayuri could really see how close they were, and how long they had known each other. 

Sayuri added fervently to the conversation despite her lack of so called 'enthusiasm' at the game. She mostly picked on who ever was available adding a clever tease. Well, to everyone except Haruki, she left him alone, often being sweeter when it came to him. She had a gentle side when it came to him. She always smiled and gave him encouragement. Maybe it was his own gentle personality and she was being reactionary, but he was so kind and nice she naturally warmed up to him. 

Luckily Aomine didn't seem to notice her sweet behavior when it came to him. If he did and complained, she'd tell him if he wanted to be treated that way he'd better improve his behavior. He was still a jerk, and a perv. Some times she wondered why she didn't just break up with him. 

As the game came closer to the end. Sayuri noticed something the more competitive pair did not. While they fought over cards and practically growled at one another. Haruki, who had been rather quiet, was slowly winning. The clever boy had what seemed to have a perfect poker face, and occasionally spoke, but only to fuel the other twos competition.

How clever? It seemed he would win, As he orchestrated their disaster from the shadows, he noticed Sayuri's gaze and shot her a quick smile as he lifted his finger to his lips pressing his pointer finger against them, silently confirming his actions. She gave a slight giggle and smiled back copying his actions to confirm her own secrecy.

As Sayuri copied his actions, Aomine glanced at her suspiciously. She gave him a smile as well an tilted her head as if asking what was wrong.  He frowned and turned back to his cards to continue his war with Momoi.

After all was said and done Momoi was complaining. "No way, I got to caught up in Aomine, I didn't even notice Haruki." She whined.  Aomine seemed annoyed as well. He'd lost and now Sayuri was sitting between Haruki and Momoi, as Haruki had won. "I didn't realize you were so sneaky." Momoi sent him a quick suspicious glare.

Haruki rubbed the back of his neck with an almost embarrassed smile. "I was just lucky." He said his innocent aura appearing again. "Well, as I won the game, I get to pick the next game."  He added with a cheery smile. Once again he made it difficult to tell if he was innocent or devious.

"So what do you want to play?" Sayuri asked holding the deck of cards they had been using before, she shifted them back and forth as she shuffled them. Haruki leaned back with his arms holding him up his head tilted up towards the ceiling. "Hmm." He gave a pause as he thought. Something about the small smirk on his lips told Sayuri this 'other game' he was picking was the plan from the beginning.  

"How about we play the king game." Haruki gave his idea with renewed innocence. Sayuri tensed at those words. She had guessed it'd be something on those lines. Aomine had had been rather grumpy after his lose glanced at Haruki with renewed interest. This new game would open up new ways to achieve his goal. Despite his hatred and dislike for Haruki he had to admit, he loved this idea.

It was a good thing she had shied away form teasing Aomine after his lose, or all of this would have been a hundred times worse. As she thanked god for not following her previous instincts Momoi voiced a complaint to the idea. "Do we have anything to play that?" She was correct they didn't have any chopsticks on hand. "I have some pencils I brought with me." Sayuri stood up from her spot on the bed and moved to the nightstand. She opened the drawer and shifted through the stationary she had brought along.