Chapter 2

Sayuri made it home that evening still giggling to herself she still found that guy funny. She pushed the thought out of her mind as she took of her shoes and neatly place them at the door before stepping up onto the floor and heading into the kitchen to see what she should snack on. Her mother stood in the kitchen in front of the island a chopping board lying out in front of her as she chopped vegetables. Sayuri knew she was making some kind of western dish. They always almost had western dishes at her house as those where what her mom grew up cooking and eating back in America. Her mom had learned how to make Japanese cuisine but preferred her countries recipes. Sayuri's house had a western ideas and novelties her mother and firmly placed. Her mother was in an apron her long curly blonde hair in a side ponytail. She turned to greet her. "Welcome home." She spoke with a very light American accent that slowly disappeared over the years. Her parents meet when her dad, as a young up and coming business man, came on a trip to America. He meet her mom and sparks flew instantly, she was a quiet sweet woman with little to no strong will. Her father was a serious loud man, with enough strong will for the both of them. They were married two months later and her mother moved to Japan. That was now seventeen years ago. They now were the happy couple with two children Sayuri, age sixteen, and Akira age twelve, and three year old Marty their Collie. Sayuri replied to her mother. "I'm home." She sat in the kitchen with her mother still in Too academies uniform chatting away loudly about her school day. "I saw this guy in the guy in the hallway today. He's on the school basketball team. I heard he was awesome or something. He's one of those bad boys everyone's in love with idea of now a days." Sayuri was slouching and eating a cup a pudding she found after raiding the fridge. She made dramatic hand movement as she spoke. She'd dropped the formal speech she used at school and spoke freely and casually with her mother. Marty had run inside to greet her and Sayuri sat at the island on a tall stool with Marty's head in her lap as she begged for a share of dinner. Poor Marty was thoroughly ignored as Sayuri continued chatting on. "He walked around like he didn't care about anything. You know one of those too cool for cool kind of guys." She said with a mouth full of pudding looking like a child eating up her pudding with chocolate on the corner of her mouth. "Isn't it to 'cool for school'?" her mother replied. Sayuri shrugged not really caring about the details. "Have you made any friends yet?" Her mother asked. Sayuri pouted again this time really looking kid, a kid with chocolate on her mouth. "Maybe." She vaguely replied with a pout. "I'll take that as a no." Her mother said. "It's not my fault, there's no one at school I can be friends with, they all sit around on their cell phones setting up mixers and talking up makeup. How am I supposed to get along with the modern teenager?" Sayuri pouted in annoyance as she loudly proclaimed her reasoning. "I'm happy for you." Her mother simply stated with a heartwarming smile. Her mother could never be joking with that smile on her face. "Are you making fun of me?" Sayuri grumbled like a child. "No of course not, I meant, I proud you chose to be yourself instead of trying to fit in with the status quo high school girl." Sayuri's childish expression all but disappeared as she wiped the chocolate of her face with the back of her pale hand. "Of course, would those girls really be my friends if I forced myself to fit in. It wouldn't be fair to them or me to lie and pretend to care for such futile things. Those things are nothing more than teenagers playing at being grownups with cell phones and boyfriends. I got bored at playing house a long time ago." Sayuri finished her lecture with a satisfied expression. She leaned onto the counter holding her head up with her hand her elbow on the counter. "Really, I thought you wanted a boyfriend with all those romance novels you read." Her mother teased knowing what reason Sayuri would give out to combat those accusations. "I'm just a romantic! Don't make fun of me. Besides I don't trust myself with boys yet. I won't date till I'm responsible to control myself. Girls love the idea of love. I won't get involved with that. I'm still a girl I might get caught." Sayuri swayed in her seat. She dramatically pointed in the air to her mother as she spoke as if challenging her to a duel. "If you act more like this you could make friends." Her mother said. "I can't do that! Talking to people is embarrassing. You guys are easy but I get all nervous I don't know what to say." She lowered her voice shyly for a moment. "Besides I don't care whether they like me or not." Sayuri replied clearing her throat. "I'll right, go get in the shower before your father gets home I'll have dinner ready for you when you get out." her mother replied. With that, Sayuri gave her mother a kiss on the cheek before leaving.