Chapter Fifteen: Transfer

"I have to get out of here!" Fayte fumed, limping back and forth. After her first escape attempt last night, she'd been chained to the wall. She couldn't get to the door, and she'd ended up hurting her leg trying everything she could think of to get out. There was now also two guards posted just outside her cell door, their spears' gleam the only light she could see.

"Where did they take her?" Fayte cried again, taking another devastating lunge toward the cell door. She felt the chain stop her, and groaned as it rebounded. One guard looked at her, and though it was dark, she almost felt his smile. He walked in as she lay there on the floor and he pointed his spear at her...and laughed.

Overcome with anger, she rose to her knees and punched him, straight in the face. The result?  Transfer. Perfect; so long as she escaped during the trip; she'd never make it if she didn't. The guard had told her so, threatened it, but now she'd finally made him mad enough. He hit her with the butt of his spear, then left, not to his station, but out. Perfect.

As the other guard reinforced the lock and went back to his post, Fayte curled up against the back wall. Perfect? Isn't that what she'd thought? Yeah, right. Nothing had been 'perfect' for years; if ever. Sure, she'd been a good captain, led well, trained well, but it hadn't made her happy. Not really; no matter what mask she put on.

'"Perfect" would be being rescued.' Fayte thought, rubbing the leg where the guard had hit her.

'But it's been days, and she hasn't come. Neither of them have. They're probably long gone...or dead.'

'"Perfect" would be meeting my mother in the forest or somewhere, not this slum. She's gone now too, though. I can only hope they haven't executed her yet.' No. She wouldn't think of that. She had work to do. The transfer could be in a few hours, and she had to be ready. She was hurt, and she'd be easy to find if she escaped, but she had to try. She knew they would be taking her to Twilight.

Twilight was a tower about 30 yards from the castle, and was heavily guarded. No one stayed long there unless they were important, and no ever escaped. Ever. She wondered whether she'd get the cage or the cave. The cage was the roof of the tower, with tightly wound metal bars surrounding you. It was rather small, but it gave you a view. A view that was there to taunt you. A view that was punishment.

The cave was even darker than the dungeon, and stalactites and stalagmites interchanged to create a prison cell. There was a little light from the torches that lined the wall, but they were often put out, so it was only you and the darkness. Some cracked under their own imagination, hearing imaginary noises that encouraged their fear until it devoured them. 

Fayte grimaced. She could hear soldiers coming down, lots of soldiers. She hadn't had enough time, and now...now she'd be taken to Twilight. 30 yards. She had thirty yards to escape, and no plan. She scanned the face of every guard, looking to see if it was Destiny or Ivy in disguise. It wasn't.

"No!" She shouted, as they hauled her out. She wouldn't go. Not if she could help it. She prepared to fight, prepared for the person behind her. She turned mid punch, and collapsed in his arms, fighting whatever spell he'd tried to put on her. She tried to stand, and felt her leg throb. Everything was a blur, a black blur, but she began to punch and kick. Anything. Destiny and Ivy wouldn't know where she was if she went, if she let them take her. Another dose, however, and the last thing she saw was dark shadows over her.