Chapter Twelve: Imprisoned

'Where am I?' Fayte wondered, rubbing her sore head. The place she sat in was vaguely familiar, as if she'd been there before. Her vision back in focus, she remembered visiting the castle dungeons as a soldier, helping deliver prisoners to their cells. The irony gave her a headache. Yes, the captain who had imprisoned so many had wound up in prison herself. She rolled her eyes, and attempted to stand.

"You can't escape, if that's what you're trying." A voice said in the darkness. Fayte looked around her cell, but she was alone. The voice spoke again; she'd heard it before, long ago.

"Of course I can." She said, gripping the wall as she teetered forward a step. The voice chuckled.

"Not in that condition." Looking to her left, Fayte could just make out a shadowy silhouette in the next cell.  Fayte grimaced.

"Then you don't know me very well. I will get out of here." She resolved, slowly walking toward the door.

"You can't escape...at least...not without help." The woman said again.

"Well, lucky for me, I've got some. My sister will be coming for me soon." Fayte said defiantly, pacing the cell, hitting the wall each time she fell.

"She sounds very brave." The woman said sweetly, then continued:

"But I doubt she'll make it."

"Don't question her!" Fayte took a deep breath.

'Destiny is coming. Ivy's with her. They'll get me out...we're -- family now, and if either of us know what that means, she'll come for me.'

"At least someone knows  you're missing..." The voice said somberly.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, my daughter left days ago; she doesn't even know I'm in here!" The woman laughed sadly, and Fayte suddenly knew who the woman was.

"You're Destiny's mother." Fayte said, trying to sound casually.

"How did you know?" The woman asked.

"Every captain knows who you are..." Fayte said, wincing. She'd said too much.

"No..." The woman said, knowingly.

"How do you know I am?" She asked again. Ugh. This was going to be a long day- or night. It was hard to tell what time it was in this dark.

"Do you know General Johnathan Moonshade?" That was a good enough way to start off.

"Vaguely." The woman-Queen Scarlett- lied.

"I knew him too." Fayte said sadly.

"He would never have told--" Scarlett began, but Fayte interrupted.

"He didn't tell anyone." She explained.

"Not even his own daughter." She sighed. There. The truth was out.

"You're...you're his daughter?" Scarlett asked, as it finally sunk in.

"Yeah, I am. My name's--" Fayte started, and this time, Scarlett cut in.

"Fayte?" She sounded so surprised, and why not?  As if Fayte hadn't been.

"I'm sorry, it's just...I thought when Johnathan died...I didn't know you were still--" Scarlett struggled with the word.

"Alive?" Fayte offered.

"I'm so sorry..."

"Guess today's your lucky day." Fayte said, an idea in mind.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, you got a daughter, and you got an escape ticket."

"You don't mean--"

"You said I'd need help if I wanted out," Fayte said with a smirk.

"Well now, I got it."