Chapter Six: Reflections

"Get in. I'll watch." Ivy said, as the pool continued to glow.

"After you." Fayte said, mocking a bow. Destiny entered the waters and threw in her ring, which floated, rather than sunk as Fayte thought it would.

"Come on! The glow won't last much longer!" Destiny called.

"What if it doesn't work for me? You said "SOME" Shadow Wolves could enter; what happens if I'm not one?"

"Nothing..." Destiny lied, but Fayte easily saw through it. After all, she'd grown up in a castle of liars; she was used to it.

"What happens?" She snarled.

"It'll hurt. Just get in!" Destiny admitted. Fayte growled, then entered, and the golden glow that had engulfed the pool turned silver as she touched. She howled in pain, but didn't get out. The sharp pain she felt soon eased.

"Throw in your ring." Destiny said, but Fayte held it tight.

"Come on, Fayte. It'll float, just like Princess's here." Ivy cheered, and Fayte let it slowly drop. The second it touched the waters, the pool changed back to gold, and the pain ceased completely.

"The pool accepted you! You are one of them!" Destiny exclaimed.

"You didn't think I was? And yet you told me to get in anyways!" Fayte cried.

"Watch!" Ivy cried, and all three turned their attention to the waters. A picture had begun to form just beneath the surface of the water. A picture both girls recognized.

"Mom!" Destiny smiled at the picture of her mother before looking at the man next to her. It was the man from her dreams. . .

"Dad." Fayte breathed, and before she knew what she was doing, she dove into the water, desperately reaching toward the reflection in the pool. Destiny went in after her, pulling her up from the infinite depth of the waters.

"It's just a reflection. . . he's not really there." She explained, but Fayte continued to look down at him.

In that instant, the reflection changed, it was the queen and the general once more, but this time, there were two children with them. Both were just infants, but each girl knew immediately it was her. At that point, Fayte looked mostly at Destiny's story, and Destiny at Fayte's; each wishing to know more about the other, and how the two parents knew one another.

Destiny was shocked when she saw the tombstone of General Moonshade, the brave soldier that had raised Fayte. Fayte looked blissfully as she watched Destiny be raised by Queen Scarlett, and the battles that the queen and general fought.

"I had no idea-" Destiny began, but the scene changed once more. In a small pavilion, in the dark of night, the two were married. Then the two children came up again, and they witnessed their nightmares take place. Memories; not dreams.

Fayte thrust her hand back into the pool and pulled out her ring. The pool turned back to silver waters, and the glow dissipated.

"Fayte, what are you going?" Destiny asked, as Fayte began to walk out of the pool.

"Leaving." She answered grimly.

"Why? Didn't you see? We're -- we're" Destiny struggled to say the word.

"No. We're not. I could never be related to a White Wolf. It's forbidden. All of this - this is forbidden. That's why." Fayte cried, and she transformed into a wolf.

"Fayte, wait!" Destiny called, but it was too late. She was gone in the night.