Chapter Two: Aftershock

"Destiny? Is that you?" A familiar voice called as Destiny returned to the Camp of the Waking Moon, the home of the White Wolves.
"It's me, Mom." Destiny said, her absent thoughts still with her mysterious pursuer.
"Darling, you know better than to go out of the valley this time of night. What if the Shadies saw you? Our treaty is fragile enough without you running through Their territory. I don't know what I'd do if I lost you." Scarlett, the leader of the pack, as well as Destiny's mother said, stroking her daughter's short white hair.
"I'm fine, Mom, really. "Destiny decided not to mention her run in with a captain of the Dark Army, or the Shadies as the White Wolves often called them.
"Good. Just- don't do it again, okay?"
"Of course, Mother." Destiny said, walking back with her mother to the camp. But in her own mind, she silently continued the conversation. 'But tomorrow night I must. I have to know who she is... you wouldn't understand.'

"Captain Moonshade! You've returned- sooner than we expected, too. Did you find the girl?" A young soldier asked, saluting her as she walked back to the castle, home to the Shadow Queen of the Dark Army. Jade was called the Shadow Queen though her title of queen was not won yet; she planned to conquer the White Wolves and take her rightful place at the throne. All in due time.
"Of course I'm back, and no; I didn't find her." The captain snarled back, though she herself didn't know why she was lying. Especially to protect some. . . princess.
"Sorry." The soldier replied, as the captain walked past. She rolled her piercing eyes and sighed. This day just kept getting worse.
"Princess!" She said, smiling the sweetest smile she could manage. She wasn't in the mood today.

"Fayte!" The princess called back, embracing the young captain. In a castle full of darkness, Ivy was the light. If only her mother approved of it; but that wasn't Fayte's concern. She was a captain, and she was meant to follow orders, not question Her Majesty, especially when it came to her daughter.
"How are you today? Mother didn't expect you here for a moon or more. Did you find the princess?" Ivy asked, and Fayte just shook her head. Ivy smiled, and Fayte raised her eyebrow.
"And you're glad? Your mother says the White Wolves are evil." Ivy frowned.
"I don't believe anything my mother tells me. She says that she was robbed of her throne, she says that we're saving all the wolves; but the way she kills off the White Wolves, I'm not so sure."
Fate just nodded her head, and kept walking, though she was glad that Ivy followed her; the princess was like the little sister she'd never had. Fayte stopped walking.
"Ivy, can you keep a secret?"
"Of course; what is it?"

"I did find her." Ivy gasped.
"What?! Where is she?"
"I let her go."
"You what?! Captain Moonshade never lets her prey escape; what happened?"
"I - I don't know. I was myself one minute, but- she said something. About..." Fayte felt her voice falter, but hard as she tried to hide it, she couldn't.
"About your father? How did she know?" Ivy asked, taken aback.
"I have no idea; maybe we'd met before? I don't know. She looked - felt- familiar, but I don't remember ever seeing her before."
"Interesting..." Ivy knew more than she was letting on; Fayte could feel it. But what did she know?