Chapter 36 Fade into Darkness

Start from the beginning

         Would she die without anyone to presence it? Would anyone know what happened to her?

         Pushing those thoughts back, Caris remembered why she stood there before the source of all evil that plagued her life, and because of that, her eyes went firm. She found her resolve once again.

         The key went in her pocket and Caris let her arms fall to her side. “Perdo Letum.”

         As fast as the words slipped her lips, the same repulsive wave appeared once more—only this time, it was much more intense. The air became thick and unbearable, as a poisonous wind was born from her body and unleashed itself onto everything in its proximity.

        The barks of the trees melted away, and the foliage was reduced to nothing but dust. Everything that collided with the wind’s path suffered the same fate, and as Caris watched the world around her die, she focused all her power in the direction of Ezekias.

         But the old witch stood there with a smug look on his face; the air searching for his body.

         “Vis de Campus,” he said nonchalantly.

      Caris knew well what those words would conjure, an electric-green barrier capable of dissipating any external power.

         However, Caris’s ability was not like any other. It was a curse, the power of destruction and ruin. With one conjure, with a touch of her hands—Caris was able to make anything wither away. Even Ezekias’s was repulsed by it, but he was not ignorant to how handy it could be, which was why he kept her around.

         She hated it. It was the most disgusting aspect of her miserable life, and every time Caris was forced to watch how her surroundings melted away, she became weak hearted.

       Finally, the miasmatic air found the barrier that Ezekias created, and Caris knew it was not enough to hold it off. Though, Ezekias was also aware of this, and as the power of ruin collided with the barrier, they both cancelled out, giving Ezekias time to retreat into the air.

         “It was about time you took action my dear Caris.”

         ‘What does that mean?’

         She refused to speak to the man—the witch that she had followed for three years—three long depressing years, plotting against him and planning her revenge.

         But no more would she have to endure his horrible presence.

         No more would she have to live alongside the creator of her misfortune.

      A strong gust of miasma pulsated from her feet as she levitated into the air—her spiritual pressure becoming visible by the manifestation of her Active Power. Caris was beyond angered, as if she was finally able to release all of her frustration on the source. It even masked her exotic eyes, for her pupils disappeared—allowing the sclera to cackle with raw energy.

        The liberation of all her fury empowered her ability. “Perdo Exitium!” She tried to keep her voice calm, but the scream came naturally—making her body soar through the night air in search of her target.

         “I see, you don’t even care to find out my half of the story,” Ezekias said, now faced to face with Caris.

         She moved swiftly with the eroding wind that coated her limbs—using it as a weapon to fight. Any contact that she made with Ezekias’s body would easily eat away at it. Because of this, Caris put into practice all of her experience she had in fighting. She remembered it well—the time of her life back in the Dark Continent when she fought alongside her mother. Since a young age, Caris was forced to endure hardships, and ‘til the day her mother died, she fought every waking moment for freedom.