Chapter 22

"Whoa! That was close." Walter said as he almost hit a zombie. "That's like the 5th one Walter." Paige said laughing. "Are you sure you should be driving?" "YES! Just have faith in Walter." Walter said before almost hitting a rabbit, "6 Walter." I say. We all laugh. I look at Jess, Ethan, Ava, and Logan. They still haven't smiled. "We've been trying all morning Paige. They just won't laugh." Paige turns the radio on. It was playing Hey Ya! by OUTKAST. "This is my jam!" Paige yelled excitedly. Paige and Walter started singing.

DON'T TRY TO FIGHT THE FEELING BECAUSE THE THOUGHT ALONE IS KILLING ME RIGHT NOW.

    Soon I joined in. After I joined in Walter let go of the wheel and did they hip sway. We all busted out laughing as he danced. Even the others were laughing. The car started to drift off the road. Walter grabbed a hold of the wheel just before it hit a sign. "That's 7 Walter!" Chelsea said cracking up. "I guess this means I'm the best dancer here." Walter said proudly. "Maybe right now, but I'll show you." Paige said smirking. Walter scoffed playfully.

    "What state are we in?" Ava asked. "Just 1 more hour before we make it into Ohio." Walter said. "Michigan is so large." Jess said groaning. "There's the groaning and whining again." I said giggling. Jess chuckled. We kept chatting for a while, until the car started slowing down. "Oh no. NO NO NO NO." Walter said as the car stopped moving. " Walter, what happened?" I asked. "Umm, heh heh." Walter said rubbing his neck nervously. "I may have forgotten to put gas into the car." Chelsea groaned. "What do we do now then?" she asked. "Let's check for gas in the trunk." Walter said unbuckling his seat belt. I looked out the window. We were on a highway.

    Walter and Paige got out of the car to check. I pulled out my knife to start cleaning it. Walter and Paige were chatting and smiling while they were looking for gas. Logan looked out the window. Chelsea was chatting with Ava. But it seemed kind of quiet. Too quiet.

    Logan's face turned white like a vampire. He was breathing heavily. "We have to go now, like right now!" Logan yelled panicked. "Why, what's wrong Logan?" Chelsea asked Logan. I looked out the windshield of the car. My heart stopped right where it was beating. It was a horde. Not just any horde. That horde looked like it went on for miles and miles. It was lumbering in our direction.

    I looked over at Walter and Paige. They were oblivious. The horde was about 3,000 feet away from us. Soon Ava and Chelsea saw it. Their faces went pale too. I quickly jumped out of the car and ran to Paige and Walter. "Did you find the gas?!" I asked panicky. "No not yet, why?" Walter asked. "Find it. FIND IT QUICKLY!" I said. "What's wrong?" Paige asked. I pointed towards the horde. Their jaws dropped. "Get into the car! I'll get the gas!" Walter said rushing to the trunk. "I'm helping." Paige said quickly. "Ok, but only because we have to hurry." I ran to the car. I hopped inside. I looked towards the zombies. They spotted us. They were now at 1,000 feet away from us.

    "HURRY! THEY'RE ALMOST HERE!" I yelled. Walter and Paige pulled out a red jug. Gasoline. Walter said something to Paige before putting the gas in the tank. Paige went to the car. "Guys, we have to hold them off, get your weapons." Without question we grabbed our weapons. We rushed out the car. Walter was putting the big jug into the car. The zombies were about 600 feet away from us. The tension added up as we began to aim for the zombies.

    We see a couple of zombies fall to the ground as we shoot them. But there were still thousands and thousands of zombies coming towards us. " We have to run up there and fight." Chelsea said. "WHAT?! ARE YOU CRAZY?!" Ava asked her. "They will get to the car if we don't try." She says. We take a deep breath, before we run.

    We get up to the lumbering cannibals. We get our knives out before we fight. Left and right, We fight zombies. I fight with Paige by my side as we split up in different sections fighting. We hear crying, a little girl crying. Paige and I look around frantically for the crying. We then see her, she is in a broke down car, trapped by zombies, banging on the windows. Paige and I run towards the car. We immediately stab those rotten corpses in the head. They fall to the ground. Paige opens the door, trying not to attract more zombies. We look inside to see a little girl with red hair and freckles. She looks like she is 8. Paige picks her up. We run towards the car with her crying.

    The others come back with us. When we make it back to the car, we see Walter with his hands on his hips. "Come on come on, get in the car!" We all rush into the car. Paige sits the kid on her lap. Walter closes the door. The zombies were very close. Walter then steps on the gas pedal, making the car go straight towards the zombies.

    One by one, zombie's guts are getting on the windshield when Walter runs them over. Blood sprays on the windshield as Walter uses the wind shield wipers for the blood. The girl screams and wails as she sees the guts and blood. "Shhhh, close your eyes child." Paige says softly. The girl puts her hands over her eyes. "Where did you get this kid." Ethan asked looking over at me. "In a car, trapped by the zombies." I say.

 (Time skip for Beauty and The Beast.)

    When we get through the zombies, Paige asks the child some questions. "What's your name?" Paige asks. The girl sniffled before answering. "My name is May." "Well May that's a pretty name." Walter says. We all give the child our names. "Did you get bitten by one of those things?" Logan asked May. May shook her head.

    "We have to go back." May said crying. "Darling, there are a bunch more of those things back there, why do you want to go back there?" I asked May. "My brother's back there."