Chapter 18

We all can't contain our excitement. We run towards the zoo happily. The boys follow us, chuckling at our childlike behavior.

    We make to the spinning turning isle. We all jump and slide over it. Well, Walter goes around it.We make our way towards a gift shop.

    Paige runs in there first. We walk in there about 30 seconds later. When we went in there, she already had like 10 stuffed animals in her arms.

    "I want them so badly." Paige said looking down at her collection. "I don't think the owners would mind anymore. Go ahead." Logan said. We all split up in the gift shop, since it wasn't a big shop.

    I walked around the cash register. It had many nixknacks around the counter. I hear the employees only door creak open. I whip my head around.

    A women's head peaked out. She looked like she was in her 30s. "Are you bitten?" She asked. "No, I promise I'm not. I'm only here with my friends." I said. "Why are you here?" She asked. "Well, it was a suprise trip here jist to get our minds off of the apocalypse." I said.

    "Well, there are some zombies in the zoo, but not much. Would you like-" She said before Jess and Ethan came up. They stopped dead in there tracks.

    "Is she bitten?" Ethan asked. I shale my head." She's very kind." I said. Soon Ava, then Chelsea, Logan, Walter, and Paige came up to us.

    "This is your group?" She asked, scanning us from head to toe. "Yeah, it pretty much is. Do you have a group with you?" I asked.

    "No, it's just me." She said walking out of the employee door so she could fully face us. "I'm Carly by the way. I take care of the animals that are still alive." She said.

    "You mean, THE ANIMALS ARE ALIVE HERE?!" Paige asked. "Yeah. I have to check on them. Would you like a tour?" She asked.

    "I was going to be their tour guide, but you can instead." Walter said looking a tiny bit disappointed. "What do you mean you be the tour guide Walter?" Ava asked Walter.

    "I used to live in Birmingham before the apocalypse broke out." Walter said before continuing. "I've been here before." He said smiling.

    "Well, how about you both are tour guides." Logan said. "Yeah, let's just get a move on for the tour." Chelsea said.

    We left the gift shop with souvenirs and Carly and Walter leading the way. We make our way towards the manatee exhibit first.

    "Here we have the manatees." Carly said before looking at Walter. "The manatees, also known as the sea cow, are herbivores, they wouldn't harm you at all." Walter said smiling like he was proud of himself.

    We look at the large topless tank. We see a couple of manatees in the back of the tank. One of them slowly swims up to the tank. We all walk up to the tank. We watch in awe how it swims gracefully through the clouded water.

    Carly throws some lettuce into the tanks for the manatees. She gives us each one. We toss it into the tank. We see the beautiful creatures swim up and munch on the lettuce.

    "Let's move onto the African exhibit." Carly says. We follow out the door of the exhibit. "You will love the Zebras and lions." Carly says. "Zebras are my favorite." Chelsea says happily.

    We make our way to the zebras. They are way far in the back of the outside exhibit. "Aww man." and Chelsea says. "At least we can still see them." Paige said, nudging Chelsea's shoulder.

    Suddenly we see a flash of lighting. After about a minute we hear thunder. Carly's eyes look over at something far over where at the end of the exhibit, which is about a mile far. Carly's face turns more pasty than grey paint. "Let's go to that picnic table over there." Ava says, pointing to a wooden picnic table with an umbrella over it.

    We all make our way over at the table. Carly looks at me. "Y/n, we need to talk."

"About what?"

"About what I saw."

"What did you see?" I said with goosebumps.

I hope you liked this chapter. I love cliffhangers, that's why I put so much of them. Have a good Morning, Afternoon, or Evening.