British Bird - Chapter Thirty Three

Start from the beginning

"Okay," is all Evie says in reply. I feel awkward, like I'm intruding. "Come and say goodbye to your Uncles, Rubes."

Aaron stands from his seat just as a little girl with blonde hair and wide, blue eyes comes running into the kitchen. A smile immediately spreads across my face when two year old Ruby goes running towards Aaron who scoops her up into his arms. "Uncle A will see you soon, okay?"

"Yes. Wuv you, Wuncle Aye." Ruby kisses his cheek. "Wots of kwisses for you." She giggles and I look at Evie, finding her smiling softly at her daughter.

He kisses her cheek. "And lots of kisses for you, Precious."

He puts her down on to her feet and she turns, runs too the other guy—whose name I do not know. He to picks her up without hesitation, presses a kiss to her cheek and tell her he loves her. She says it back in her cute tiny voice before he hands her over to Evie. He then presses a kiss to Evie's forehead. "I'll call you over the weekend. Need anything, ring."

"Sure," Evie answers with a nod of her head.

He leaves and Aaron walks towards Evie. "We will be discussing this, Eve. Understand?"

"Screw off, Aaron," Evie snaps with a glare, and I frown. I've never heard her talk like this before and it's starting to concern me.

"It was nice meeting you, Sang. Hopefully we'll meet again one day," Aaron calls, looking back over at me and sending me a wink with a smirk on his lips. He leaves and a few seconds later, the door is being closed behind him.

Evie puts Ruby back down onto her feet and she immediately goes running off, no doubt to go and play with her toys. Sighing, Evie sits down in the chair Aaron vacated. Her eyes lift and meet mine and she offers me a weak smile. "Sorry about that."

I shake my head. "Don't be." I pause, pursing my lips. "It's not my business, but if you ever wanna talk I'll be here to listen."

"I know and it wasn't until you opened up to me the other day that I realised I do truly have a friend in you." Evie tucks some hair behind her ear before adding, "It's hard for me to trust people. My boyfriend, Ruby's dad, was murdered. Just me and Rube's now."

"What about Aaron and the other guy?"

Evie smiles. "As for Aaron and Wes...it's a long story. They kept me strong through my pregnancy, held my hands while I gave birth to Ruby, and have been the only male role models in her life. Without them, I wouldn't have known what to do."

"I'm sorry," I whisper.

"Don't be." Evie shakes her head. "It's not your fault."

"My offer still stands," I tell her. "I'll always be here to listen."

Smiling like she knows something I don't, she says, "No you won't be, Sang. You'll be leaving to go to America with those guys—the boys you are in love with."

"They leave tomorrow morning," I whisper. "An emergency has came up and they have to go back."

"Then why aren't you home packing a suitcase?" Evie questions, tilting her head to the side.

I take a deep breath and say, "Because, I'm not going."

Evie's mouth pops open and she stares at me with disbelief in her eyes. "Shut the hell up, of course you're going."

"I'm not," I say to her adamantly. "But just because I'm not going tomorrow, doesn't mean I'm not going ever. That's why I'm here."

Her eyebrows rise in surprise. "I'm intrigued, so please, do tell."

I quickly explain to Evie everything I've learned over the last twenty four to forty eight hours. I tell her about Michelle's betrayal and what happened this morning. I don't leave anything out and the whole time, Evie listens and doesn't say a word. A few times, Ruby comes in, just to make sure her mumma is there ,but otherwise Ruby stays out of the kitchen and in the living room, happily watching Power Ranger's and shouting baby talk at the TV while playing with her toys.

When I'm done, Evie looks angry. "That fucking bitch."

"Right?" I say, shaking my head. "All this time, I could have been with Cara and Johnny in America, but Michelle had to go and ruin it all."

Evie is silent for a few seconds before she says, "And I'm glad she did, because otherwise, you wouldn't have met me."

"True that," I say with a grin. "I have a proposition for you," I murmur softly.

"What's that?" Evie asks.

"Come to America with me."

Her eyes widen and her mouth pops open, but before she has a chance to say anything I add, "Over the next week we'll get our passports sorted out and I'll have them priority processed. I have a few legal things that I'll need to go through because of Michelle, but it'll all be done and dusted pretty quick, hopefully. We can hunt for somewhere to live in Charleston, find jobs, figure out school."

"And the guys?"

I shake my head. "I'm not going to tell them my plan. This is all something I need to go through myself. As far as they'll be aware, they will be getting on the plane thinking they'll never see me again."

"Oh, Sang. You can't do that to them," Evie exclaims with a shake of her head. "At least write them a note or something."

"Saying what?" I ask.

Evie smiles, shrugging her shoulders. "I don't know, to wait for you, or something. Just words that will tell them that you'll be going home to them."