Caryl

It's already been six days since Rick killed Negan; a gunshot to the head to be precise.

All of his men and his slut-slaves fled; terrified of our determined and headstrong group.

"Hey, Daryl. Rick and Michonne are going out scavenging. They asked if we could look after Judith.." Carol says, pulling a tray of cookies out of the oven.

We've only been back in Alexandria for three days, and the woman has already baked enough cookies to feed a small village.

"Okay..." I figured this was coming, considering Carol and I are the only ones available.

"Well, I told them we would. Besides, we have nothing better to do." 

I take a swig of the whiskey in front of me; a burning sensation fills my throat.

"Okay.." I reply again, gaining an annoyed look from the frail woman, who was now standing beside me.

She holds a cookie out my way, but I quickly shake my head and re-fill my glass.

Carol sighs and wipes her fingers on her floral cardigan, then she crosses her arms over her chest.

"What's your problem, Daryl? You've been acting strange lately.." I chuckle sarcastically; my long hair hiding my chocolate brown eyes, which were full of lust for her.

"Nothin." Simple replies were pretty much all I had when it came to complex conversations.

"You're lying straight through your teeth, Daryl Dixon." She slowly moves closer to me; that determined look still sketched across her face.

"I ain't lyin'. I said nothin' is wrong!" I shift uncomfortably in my seat. It was as if  was staring deep into my soul.

I would NOT let her get the truth out of me.

"Come on, pookie. Spill...." Oh, God. She hasn't called me that since we were back at the prison a few years ago.

Ever since then, I've developed feelings for her. Hell, I even think I love her; I'm just too afraid to actually tell her.

After her relationship with Ed, she's probably looked at every man in disgust. I don't blame her, though. Ed was a total douchebag.

...and I'm glad he's dead.

"You ain't gonna understand." Carol switches her gaze to something lighter; her eyes tentative.

"I used to get smacked in the face for not re-filling the salt shaker. I'm sure it can't be any worse than that." 

God, those beautiful eyes of hers. I could look into them all day...

It's almost as if my brain shuts off. "I like you okay!" I blurt out; my cheeks heating up.

An awkward silence fills the room.

"Way to go hothead!" I curse myself.

A large lump forms in my throat.

"Wow..um..well...is it safe to say that I like you too?"

Did I just hear her correctly?

Now I know my face is as red as a cherry. Glad I have long shaggy hair...

"Yeah.." I reply and she flashes me a smile.

Carol moves even closer to me than she was before.

"You've been the main one who has made an effort to protect me and make sure I'm alright. I'm sure Sophia would be very pleased with you." Her voice cracks at the mention of her late daughter.

Tears form in her eyes.

Then, it all happens so fast; I pull her close and I crash my lips against hers. It was gentle, but there was so much meaning and so many emotions behind it.

Pulling away, she rests her head on my chest.

Not exactly sure what to do, I lightly rib her back.

Suddenly, the sound of gunshots fill our ears.

Almost as if it were a reflex, we quickly move and grab our weapons.

"You know the drill." She whispers. 

Carol loads her pistol and makes her way over to the door.  I quickly grab my crossbow, pushing an arrow inside.

As we make our way onto the streets of the chaotic town, a woman runs past us yelling "The Saviors are coming!" 

Although we killed off most of them, there was still others that were hidden. They probably heard of Negan's departure and want to get revenge on us.

"Time to fight." Carol says; she shoots a man in the leg.

Confirmation...I do love her.