Remember?

"I can't believe this." I say to Riley as we stand in the hallway. She sighs. "I tried to tell you." my eyes go wide as I realize something. "He doesn't remember Gabe, does he?" I ask in almost a whisper. Her face sinks and I know I'm right. My heart breaks even more. "Does he remember anything?" she nods. "He remembers his immediate family. But for some reason friends, coworkers....." I sigh. "Me." she lays a hand on my shoulder. "Maya, he'll remember. Why don't you just try talking to him?" I shake my head. "No, I can't go back in there. When I look at him I see, my loving boyfriend, the father of my child. All he sees is a stranger." tears drip down my face at the thought. "I know its hard Maya, but the only way he's going to remember is if you remind him." I run my fingers through my hair. "I have to go pick Gabe up from daycare. I'll come back afterwards and try then." she nods. "Okay."

After picking up Gabe I head back to the hospital and up to Josh's room. "You ready?" I shake my head. "No, but here I am." I say to Riley before walking in with her. "Hey Uncle Josh. I brought some company with me." she says motioning towards me and Gabriel. Josh smirks at me. "So I see." I notice myself blushing at the thought of earlier and decide to just address it. "Don't worry, I'll behave myself this time." he chuckles at my comment but says nothing. Riley's phone goes off. "Oh shoot, this is Lucas. I gotta take this." she says before stepping out of the room. Josh stares at Gabe. "Cute kid. Who's is it?" I sigh while placing myself in a chair next to the bed."This is Gabriel Noah Matthews. And he's yours." his eyes go wide. "You're kidding right? I know they said I have memory loss but I think I would remember my own kid." I give a defeated laugh. "I can prove it to you if you'd like." I say pulling out my phone and pulling up some pictures of him and Gabriel. Josh takes my phone and scrolls through them. "So I assume you're his mom?" I nod. "Yeah, I am." he hands me my phone. "So how did it happen? Some one night stand or something?" my smile fades at his words. "Uh...... No." I stutter out. "You and I were dating actually. Still are, technically. But don't worry, like I said, I'll behave myself."

"How long have you and I dated?" he questions. "About almost three years." I say. He nods. "How old are you?" "17." I say without a flinch. His eyebrows wrinkle. "So we're three years apart?" I nod. "Yeah. Never really seemed to bother you when we were dating, but seeing that you have no memory of me, it probably seems weird." he chuckles. "Just a little. How did I meet you?" I point towards the door. "That would be Riley's doing. She's been my best friend since I was five. So I had met you quite a few times at the Matthews family gatherings in New York. But I would say it wasn't until one particular Christmas that I caught your eye. Right before I turned 15." "So I knocked up my nieces best friend?" he asks. I scoff. "That's one way to say it, yeah." clearly my attempt at a nice back story flew out the window. I sigh. "Also something you should probably know in case they let you out before your memories come back, is that you and I live together." he looks at me with slightly shocked eyes. "But you're only 17?" I nod. "Its a long story. To sum it up, my only parent died and the only person I had to turn to was you. So you insisted I move in with you." his eyes avert from me. "Well I guess I must have seen something in you." I look down at the ground and close my eyes in attempt to keep myself together. He looks back at me. "I'm sorry, that came out wrong." I shake my head. "No it didn't."

"Okay, I'm back. Sorry that took longer than expected." Riley says whilst staring at both Josh and me. She forces an awkward smile. "I'm guessing y'all have already talked about a lot." I stand up with Gabe in my arms. "Yeah, we've talked about plenty. So I think I will see myself out."