Are we gonna make it?

The party ends and I successfully made a good impression on Liz's family. Either that or they are all really good actors. With Gabe asleep I decide to go a head and get ready for bed. After a quick shower I throw on the pajamas that Liz lent me and grab my phone to see a missed call from Riley. I dial her number and wait for her answer. "Hello, Riley's phone." I'm surprised when I hear  Lucas' voice come from the phone. "Lucas? What are you doing answering Riley's phone?" He laughs at my shocked tone. "I'm hanging out with her and she happens to be in the bathroom. So I answered." "Hey Lucas do you know what I did with my........ Are you on my phone? Lucas!" I hear Riley say from the background. I hear them giggling as she tries to get her phone back and it makes me smile to know that they are talking again. "Sorry about that Maya, what's up?" I laugh. "I was just returning your call. But while I have you, whats going on with you and huckleberry?" I say with a hint of amusement in my voice. She gives a small giggle. "That is a discussion for when you get back. What I do want to talk about is Josh. What happened between you guys?" I give a small sigh. "I don't know Riley. We were fine one minute and not the next. All I did was call him to tell him Gabe and I were staying the night so I could stay for Matt's birthday. Then he just started getting angry with me about how I'm spending too much time here and that I need to stop bring Gabriel. I don't get why he's getting so mad at me for wanting to spend time with the only family I have left." "Wow that seems a little uncalled for." I scoff. "A little? Try a lot! I mean before I started talking to my dad again we almost never even left y'alls house! I mean don't get me wrong, your my best friend and I always enjoyed myself, but still. Y'all are his family. This is mine. And he's telling me that I'm not allowed to bring Gabe anymore? I'm sorry but I just don't see how that's right."

     "Well you know Josh is just a little paranoid when it comes to your dad. He just doesn't want to see you or Gabe get hurt in the end. Not to mention that when you go down there every Saturday taking Gabe with you, he doesn't get to spend any time with either of y'all. I mean he's only half way through college so he most of his time is spent there. He only gets so much time to spend with Gabe and you." I let out a low sigh. "Your right. Gosh why can't he just explain things like that? He just gets mad and doesn't ever explain why! Grant it, I do the same things but......" I pause for a moment letting my thoughts overwhelm me. "Riley, how are we supposed to make it as a couple if all we can do is argue?"

     "You don't always argue! On your birthday y'all didn't argue!" I shake my head even though she can't see it. "Riley, that night ended with him and I arguing." she sighs. "Oh." the line goes silent after that so I decide to speak. "I'm gonna get some sleep. I'll swing by tomorrow once I get home."
Before I hear her say anything I hang up the phone and toss it on my bed. "Ugh!" I say falling backwards on the bed. I love Josh so much but sometimes it feels like its too hard to be together. And no matter how many times we make up after we fight, our relationship is strained. Maybe too strained.