The Garden Room

We pull up at an unfamiliar place and park. I get out of the car and give Josh a confuse look. "What are we doing here?" He walks over to me. "This is where we are having your birthday dinner. My brow wrinkles. "I've never been here before." He smiles. "That's the idea." he holds out his hand and I take it. We walk inside and I scan the room. I see paintings everywhere and realize this is an art gallery. I look over at Josh and smile. "This is wonderful." I let go of his hand and walk around the room, looking at each and every painting. Josh follows behind me. "You haven't even seen the best part yet." he steps in front of me. "This is the garden room." he opens up the doors to reveal the most unexpected thing I could imagine.

     "SURPRISE!" I hear everyone yell. My smile grows as I see everyone's face. I scan the room and see Lucas, Farkle, some other kids from school, and Mr. And Mrs. Matthews. Well that's a question for later considering Corey is supposed to be watching my child. Lucas and Farkle walk over to me and give me a hug. "Happy birthday Maya." I turn my attention away from the boys when I hear that voice. "Zay?" he walks over to me. "You didn't think that I would miss your 17th birthday now did you?" I wrap my arms around him tightly. "I missed you Zay." he squeezes me. "I missed you too. Texas just hasn't felt like home without someone grabbing my by the collar of my shirt." I laugh.

     The party starts and I find Josh through the crowd of people. "Thank you for this Josh. I know I said I didn't want to celebrate my birthday but I think I needed this." he smiles as he grabs my hand. "Your welcome, but I can't take all the credit for this." my brow wrinkles. "What, was Lucas and Farkle in on it too?" he shakes his head. "This was actually all Riley's idea. She even helped set up everything while you and I were at your apartment." Riley did all this? After the way I've treated her? Josh kisses me on the forehead. "Enjoy the party." I watch him walk away.

     I have to fix this. I sneak out of the party and catch a cab straight to Riley's apartment. When I get there I don't waist a moment before knocking on the door. A few seconds later Riley opens the door holding Gabe. "Maya? What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be out with Josh?" I smile. "Yeah I am. But the problem is, that I was in a room full of people to celebrate my birthday but my best friend wasn't there." she gives a weak smile. "I didn't think you would want me there." I grab her hand. "You're my sister. I will always want you there. Riles I'm so sorry for how I've treated you. I shouldn't have let this go on so long. You're my best friend and I need you." she hugs me. "Don't apologize Maya. How I acted was terrible. You didn't deserve it. I'm just happy to know you forgive me." I wipe away my happy tears. "Now come on. We've got a party to go to." I say taking Gabe into my arms. "I want everyone I love to be there."