A Shadowed Birthright - Chapter Twenty

Hi! I'm back again after disappearing off for so long. I really do apologise. I had such a major case of writer's block for this story. It doesn't mean I've given up on it, (far from that!) I was just at a loss on how I wanted it to continue. 

Well, enough of me making excuses, enjoy this chapter and hopefully it's filled with enough action to quench that spy-thirst ;)

Habere!

- Third Person's P.O.V -

"Where are Addy and Remy?" Elijah's childish voice breaks through the silence, worried orange eyes gazing at the door. "They've been gone for almost two hours now..."

"Who knows?" Clara questions rather boredly as she sifts through the papers on August's desk. While the Ember sits in his original position, she brought a chair and sat opposite him. She honestly just wanted something to rest her elbows on.

Odd movement from the aforementioned Ember has the Shade raising her eyes to him, arching a brow at the way he anxiously glances between the door and the files in front of him. His eyes move back to the door and settle there for a while before he glances at her from the corner of his eye.

August coughs into his fist casually, closing his eyes. "Is there a problem, Clara?" He asks casually, focusing on a file in his hand. Glancing over her shoulder to make sure Elijah is preoccupied, Clara turns back to August, dropping the file in her hand and crossing her arms on the desk.

"You know where your Ember and Remy are, don't you?" It's more of a factual statement than a curious question and the male Ember recognises this for he snaps his eyes back to the Shade, gaze widening.

"N-No, I don't," He quickly denies, shaking his head. "Why would you think that?"

"You're restless," Clara answers nonchalantly, going back to reviewing the files. She picks one up and reads from it as she continues. "You won't stop glancing at the door and you looked concerned when Remy left the room so abruptly."

The Shade gazes at August from over the top of the sheet of paper. "And that would imply you know something."

August gazes at the redhead wide-eyed, his mouth dropping open. "I-I...uhh...that's..." he stutters and Clara averts her eyes back to the paper in her hand.

"It doesn't matter to me, anyhow," she dismisses with a shrug before nodding her head to Elijah. "It's the kid Ember that's worried. Explain what happened to him."

August's eyes drift to Elijah working on the mechanisms of a modern bow, gaze becoming worried again when they instinctively avert to the door. The Ember should console the young kid but he wants to make sure that Remy is OK first.

From everyone's confusion, August could only deduce that he's the only one who caught onto what's wrong with Remy. He knew it the moment Elijah hugged him after being told the older Ember would train him. The look on his face...the panic...he knew it all too well. It was the same look his older sister would have often before she tragically committed suicide.

And now that Addy went after him, she probably knows as well. August just wants to make sure Remy is doing alright. Addy may be with him but it doesn't stop him from worrying any less.

⊙■⊙■⊙■⊙■⊙■⊙■

"Remember that prank we did in Year Nine?"

Remy barks out a short laugh. "You mean the one where we dumped oil right outside Mr Stinson's office?"

"I've never seen a man drop like that!" the two Embers dissolve into rib-aching laughter, Addy's head falling onto Remy's shoulder as she holds her stomach. Remy holds his hand against his face, his head leaning back on the exerceo building and tears dripping down his face.