A Shadowed Birthright - Chapter Eighteen

Warning! This chapter contains a scene of self-harming. If anyone has been going through depression or anything that causes you to do this or know anyone who does and will be offended please skip it. I've indicated the scene with "X===X" so please avoid it at all costs. It has been included because it gives depth to my character and sheds some light on their past. 

I apologise for this chapter in advance but unfortunately I've had to add for the sake of the story. I'm not sure how self-harming goes on in people's lives considering I don't know anyone who has done so neither have I done such a thing so please don't batter me about it. I've gone on from what others have written about it.

If anyone knows someone who is self-harming and if you do it yourself, please speak to someone. I don't mean a professional. Speak to anyone. Your mother, father, brother, sister or someone you met while on a walk in the park. Please just speak to someone about what you're going through. Don't suffer alone or in silence.

Trust me. I know how it feels...

- Third Person's P.O.V -

"Was that all he told you?"

"Yeah."

"Did he give you some sort of a demonstration?"

"Dude dropped a fúcking box on my lap for a demonstration."

Addy snickers. "Seems you've already made an enemy of yourself, Elyota."

Remy frowns at Addy sitting on the sofa by the exit of August's office. "I don't even know what I did to him. Clara did the most in the theft."

"But she's a woman so she's got that leeway." Addy returns with a disinterested shrug. The mere mention of the Shade has the female Ember's blood boiling but she tames it for Remy's sake.

Nonetheless, she doesn't understand what he sees in her. She's cold, heartless and in her eyes selfish and she didn't even spare a thought for Elijah's wellbeing, only sparing him the barest thought thanks to Remy's reprimanding.

Honestly, the female Ember wouldn't necessarily mind if the Authorities were to barge in here at this moment and plant a bullet in her chest. In fact, she'd rejoice but what makes her force that thought away is how it would affect her best friend.

She wouldn't be able to bare it if she saw him like that.

Addy knows that Remy cares for the Shade even though he won't admit it and it's because of that she's being tolerant of the object of her animosity.

As they were growing up, Remy has always been her rock despite giving off the facade that she doesn't need one. Truthfully, Addy needed one more than anyone could comprehend. It's a proven fact that teachers and fellow pupils see more of each other than their own families do so Addy had to endure hours, days, weeks, months and years of teasing for her inability to fit in with the crowd. Especially the female crowd.

Addy wasn't the prettiest girl in her school. Her uniform was ill-fitting, her blond hair was always in disarray, giving the notion to fellow parents that her own never gave two shíts about their daughter's appearance when they obviously did and she loathed Barbies, dollies and the like. All these factors brought upon her head teasing and bullying and she had to become outspoken and hard headed to stop them from continuing.