A Shadowed Birthright - Chapter Seventeen

Bonum mane! I've finally gotten round to uploading chapter seventeen. Hopefully this chapter with cure most of your confusion about Argentum Maria.

Utor!

- Clara's P.O.V -

"For the last time I'm fine." I tell the two males in the room, sighing loudly in impatience when they both ignore me and continue to fuss over my every move, hair follicle and breath. It's starting to get on my nerves.

"You're not fine, Clara. You almost dropped down the stares." August feels the need to remind me for the twentieth time. Honestly, I've lost count.

"And you're still disorientated. The doctor says so." Remy pipes in as he fluffs out my pillow. I blow my hair out of my eyes. I didn't even realise it had started to grow...

"OK," I concede, rejoicing internally when they both pull away from me. "I may have dropped down the stairs and I may be slightly disorientated but one, I didn't fall down the stares and two, I'm not that disoriented. God, you make me sound like a petulant child."

"Then stop complaining like one." Remy counters with a sarcastic smile before scowling at me. "Seriously, you had us all worried."

I sigh heavily. "There was no need to be," I reply with a tired slump of my shoulders. "I had just woken up. It wasn't that much of a big deal so stop with all this fussing!"

I slap August's hand away when he proceeds to check my blood pulse, frowning at him and he gives me a sheepish smile, rubbing the back of his neck.

"If you're both so worried about me then leave so I can get some rest." I suggest, pointing idly at the door.

Remy scowls deeply at me before rolling his eyes and leaving the room. I sigh heavily, feeling strangely wounded about from his silent aggravation as August clears his throat, sending me a small smile.

"Don't do anything stupid and if you need anything don't hesitate to call. I mean it." He adds when I roll my eyes, scowling at the fact that I'm taking orders from someone less able than me.

But considering he basically saved my life – even though I can't die from falling down the stairs – I'm not so against listening to him. At least this once.

After sending me one final smile, the male Ember exits the room and leaves me in complete silence save for the ticking of the wall clock.

"Remy..."

I frown as I remember what happened when I woke up. I called out to Remy, not once but three times. Three fúcking times I called my partner's name and I hate myself for it. Why did I have to call his name? I could've called August, or Natalie, or Elijah...

Dumping my head in my palm, I release a loud groan, shaking my head. What's going on with me? Why do I react to him so strongly?

A timid knock on the door causes me to lift my head and glance at it just as it minutely opens. A head of lime green hair peers from the opposite side, orange eyes gazing at me nervously briefly before shifting to the floor.

"I-I heard you almost had an accident," Elijah shyly says before bringing the rest of his body into my room and shutting the door. "My mum always told me to visit someone you know who almost had an accident. She said it shows that you care about them."