A Shadowed Birthright - Chapter Three

Yo peeps! Sorry for the late update. Writer's block has shown me no mercy and on top of that, I've had college work to do for the summer. Boo, I kno but I've posted chapter three. *woot woot* Anyhoo...college is starting on Friday so hopefully mah updates won't be limited but I'll try and get the next chapter up by next week. So enjoy this one for now!

Btw, should I do a whole chapter sorely on Remy's P.O.V? He's funny and I enjoy writing him and besides you get to see his view on things. Comment below with your suggestions xD

 Dux Alta Canonicus ^^

- Clara's P.O.V -

I exit the steamy bathroom and make my way to the kitchen, feeling refreshed and relaxed. With his eyes closed, Remy leans against the counter and munches on sweets, an open packet in his hand.

He obviously knows I'm here but pretends he doesn't. This guy is too casual for my liking. I could be an enemy for all he knows and he'll still be eating sweets as if nothing is happening.

I open the cabinet nearest to me and take out a glass cup, walking to the sink and filling it with water. I down the contents quickly and leave the cup in the sink before turning to exit the kitchen without a word to my partner.

"Do you know what this special mission will entail?" Remy suddenly asks out of the blue and I pause, turning to him as he opens his ice blue eyes to gaze at me boredly. "Don't you think it's strange that the Dux wants to see us both? Something like this doesn't happen...ever."

I cross my arms over my chest and shrug my shoulders. I do find it strange that the Dux wants to see Remy and I. He never sees a Shade, only an Ember and even that's not frequent. Sometimes, I think that he doesn't want to see Shades. The mission must be really special if he demanded both our presence.

"I don't have a reasonable explanation as to why the Dux wants to see us together," I eventually answer truthfully before blowing hair from my eyes, earning a frown from the Ember. "I may be a Shade but I don't know people's motives. I can only use seventy-five per cent of my brain, remember?"

Remy pops another sweet into his mouth, still frowning. "So, you admit that he has an agenda of some sort." He states, moving the sweet to side of his mouth so that he could talk.

I sigh, turning back to the living room. "If that's what you think." I drawl, walking out of the kitchen and over to my coat on the chair. I pick it up and dig into the inside pocket, bringing out the brown file Ace gave me before walking to the sofa, dropping my coat back on the chair.

I wasn't told before my mission that I needed to collect anything which could mean that the Authorities didn't know what Ace researched or how much he researched. But why would he give this to me if he knew they were after this? There must be a reason why he entrusted me with it.

Ace's life was taken over this file. What did he uncover that made him into a target and more importantly, what's in here? Ace was a cautious man. He would never dabble in something that wasn't science. Science was his life, the very thing he breathed. He would want to know why water reacts with certain elements not what life was like two hundred years ago.