A Shadowed Birthright - Chapter Nineteen

Multo tempore non videre! I'm so so sorry for the long wait. I was stressing about exams, then results, then acceptance into university (which went perfectly, thanks for asking ;D) then Freshers Week, then lectures starting...well...you know the drill (some of you do anyway). But here's chapter nineteen! I hope I've done this chapter justice not just on its own but for the previous chapter too.

- Admeta's P.O.V -

My first encounter with Remy was laced with suspicion because I was never really liked and people would play on my loneliness just for a kick. But the more he spoke to me and asked me if I wanted to play with him, I've retained a semblance of hope that whispered to me; not everyone hated me.

No one hated me because I was a tomboy and because my clothes were ill-fitting. No one hated me because I fought back against oppression rather than passively accept it like most girls. Not everyone always had ill intentions whenever it came to me but I was too blind to see it because I had been emotionally scarred from my other ordeals.

Remy has always looked at me as his equal. He's never treated me with an ounce of differentiation because we had deviating anatomies. He always saw me for who I am - acknowledged my strengths and used my flaws to make me stronger. I would go as far to say that he sometimes gave me more credit than what I deserved and it's because of his attitude that I always treasured our friendship. I never once doubted him, or ever feel the need to replace him. He gave me strength when I lacked it and pushed me to overcome all the names, teasing and bullying I suffered.

Sure, we saw each other as rivals (what best friends didn't?) But it was friendly rivalry - one that pushed us to become better than we were yesterday. We teased each other to make us push harder but we always encouraged one another whenever one of us came to a standstill.

Out of the two of us, I was the one that had the most standstills. Each time, I realised that I had never truly escaped the bullying, just simply locked it away somewhere deep in my mind and forgot about it. I pretended that it didn't faze me anymore but it actual truth, I was scared. I was scared and a coward. All my insecurities would come to the surface like a bubbling brew on a stove and I'd end up stopping. Stopping myself from progressing. Stopping from achieving the future I always wanted.

But each time that happened, it'd be Remy to deliver that shove I desperately needed. He'd figuratively put his hands on my back, whisper encouraging words before giving me that push to start me off. And I'll keep going. I'll keep going because I didn't want to disappoint him. I didn't want him to think that all the time and energy he donated for me would have gone to waste.

So I kept pushing myself, failing to realise that Remy would never grow tired of me. I failed to realise that he'd never leave my side even when I became painstakingly infuriating at times (shout out to PMS). I concentrated so much on improving myself that I didn't notice my best friend standing happily on the side lines, content on watching me improve.

But when I did, in fact, realise that, I saw the strength Remy harboured within himself. He had enough for the both of us and more and instead of me counting on it, I simply disregarded it. Nonetheless, it didn't stop him from sharing it and I soon come to realise that I've always counted on Remy even when I didn't even notice. He was my rock in times of need and my smiles in times of tears. Whenever I tripped up, he'd hold out his hand and say "why cry when you're almost at the finish line?"