Chapter 22 : A part of the jigsaw

Start from the beginning

"Have a good day"

"You too", I greeted the nurse with a pleasant smile.

I climbed upstairs to take a look at the terrace, I refused to take up the elevator since I had ample amount of time to waste.

Walking across the 5th floor I noticed that everyone was above their 50's. They had one thing in common, they were mentally unstable and had two nurses with them on their sides.

"Maybe I should just walk away ", I gave myself a safety check.

"Or maybe I should just look over at their lives and their struggle to make through every day ", I never was able to take a stand on one thing.

I went across the doors looking through the small glasses of the doors, I saw some talking with dolls, while the others painting themselves. Some laughed till no limits while some cried effortlessly. I was shaken by life so much that it resulted in goosebumps.

"Mr. Ashton Reynolds ", I read the tagline over the door. My legs stopped at the reaction of my eyes towards that name. I picked up my courage and strength and opened the door by turning the knob.

A man laid there with his eyes closed, he resembled Mr. Reynolds so much. I went closer to him enlarging my view through my eye lenses. There was no one in his room so it wasn't much difficult for me to pop in.

"hey, what are you doing here? ", A nurse marched it with an injection in her hand.

"Just fast-flying across this place, no specific agenda ", I tried greeting her with a smile.

She smiled back "As per the rules we aren't allowed to let people in without the visiting card. Do you have one? ", she inquired.

"I don't. Oops. But I'm guessing I know this man", I turned towards him "what's wrong with him? ", I kept my focus on Mr. Ashton who looked so peaceful whilst sleeping.

" He's in a state of deep and prolonged unconsciousness, scientifically we call it Coma ", she injected him with the syringe she held.

" So no one ever visits him? Like his family or friends? Someone with whom he's acquainted with? ", I flooded similar questions demanding an answer from at least one.

"He's been shifted here a month ago, we tried contacting his son but he fails to answer us as there's no current contact number of his in our records. We get payments on his behalf from some man of his age, he visits him every second Saturday. That's all I know ", she reluctantly smiled.

I saw a photo frame next to the bed, I took a grip of it at once. My eyes widened extensively on the view --It had Mr. Ashton along with his wife, his hands rested on his wife's right shoulders. There was a man who rested his hands on Mrs. Reynold's left shoulders, it was my dad. My grip over the picture loosened up but I at once caught it tightly so as to prevent it from breaking into pieces.

"He's the man who visits him and pays his bills", the nurse pointed at my father's picture. "Now if you're done investigating, I suppose you should leave "

"Can I take the picture along? ", I somewhere knew the answer.

"You're not allowed to. Besides, this is the only belonging of this man which can make him remember his identity when he wakes up. I apologize ", she flung his hand towards the door signaling me to walk out.

My mind was not only distracted at this moment but it also emerged a lot of negative thoughts within itself. My father definitely was somehow connected to the 'Reynolds '. Suddenly, flashbacks crossed my mind from the very day I saw My father's name in his telephone directory to that day in the car when Mr. Reynolds told us we had a history .