Chapter no.16

I winced slightly. The warm water was fine but the salt in it stung. Angelo insisted that I let the doctor examine me but I myself knew how stubborn I was. I never really fancied the idea of doctors and anything related to them.

"Are you sure you don't want me to stay love?" Angelo asked and I could hear the hint of tease in his gentle velvet-like voice. I glared at him with as much anger as I could master.

Placing a kiss on my forehead and leaving me dumbfounded, he walked out of the room leaving the door open.

Waiting for something to happen, I held my breath. He never leaves the door open. Then why today? Before I could mull over my thoughts some more, the sound of footsteps made me look up to find Baldwin in the door way.

He looked at me and I glared back at him.
"Are we going to stare at each other all day?" I asked annoyed by the silence.
"No."
"Then why are you here?" I asked.

"Someone is here to see you." I rolled my eyes in boredom.
"Who?"
"I am." Avril's voice made me look away from him and at her as she approached from behind him. "Avi!" I exclaimed as she came to sit down next to me.
"Leave us alone please." She said in an emotionless baritone and he simply left closing the door behind us.

My eyes widened at her and she just stared at me before pulling me into a hug. "Where have you been all this time?" I asked trying to keep my tears at bay.

"I just got here." She said.
"What do you mean?"
"Baldwin lives downtown not here." She said.
"You live with him? Why?" She sighed sadly before looking away towards the door.
"Celine! Look. There is a lot you need to know. The same goes for me. We have no idea what we have gotten ourselves into. I'm going to tell you something but you need to stay calm okay?"

I eyed her worryingly.
"After Angelo brought you from the hospital......h-he told me you weren't safe. Not even Baldwin told me what was wrong but this is the reason I had to stay. I couldn't leave you here alone. And besides.......it wasn't like Angelo would've let me leave anyway."

"But why?"
"I don't know. All I know from what Baldwin has told me is that you and I are not safe and we can't leave."
"That doesn't make sense. Do they really think that much is enough for us to trust them?"

"I don't know.......I saw Baldwin cleaning guns a few days ago. These people, are not cops as far as I know." Avril's words struck me.
"Avi! Do you think they......you know-"
"I know what you mean. She said.

Angelo was most definitely hiding something. I had to find out what it was. But did I really want to know? Shouldn't I be running away? These weapons they had surely weren't toys for them to play with. It all left me in a confusing mess of thoughts.

I suddenly felt this eerie feeling of someone watching us. No matter what I did, the feeling was always there.
My cheeks turned a slight shade of pink. Something that happened when I felt nervous.

There was a knock on the door and Avril stood up.
"When am I going to see you again?" I asked her.
She shrugged her shoulders. I stood up to face her.
"Avi?"
"Yeah?"
"Dad would be looking for me. I know he is. We will get out of here." She smiled sadly and I hugged her before she walked to the door and turned to look at me.
"Talk to him Celine. He might tell you." She left closing the door shut.

*********

My eyes watched the screen intensely. As if, they could penetrate right through and catch her. Save her beauty forever in them. Never to forget. I loved how she unconsciously played with her hair. I could tell by the breath-taking smile on her face that she was happy to see Avril.

Her face scrunched up in a cute frown and I couldn't help smiling at the innocent radiance in her eyes. Whether intentionally or not, I always seemed to get lost in her beauty and her presence.

Before I could lose my senses entirely, I focused on her voice. The two didn't know much about us but I knew my Celine well. She would want to know. And honestly, I realised I wasn't doing any justice by hiding this from her.

As Avril left the room, I watched as she stood up and stretched adorably and walked out of my camera's range of vision.
Spying on her without her knowledge was wrong but I had to do it. To ensure she came to know all the right things at the right time.

I stood up from my chair tired and frustrated slightly. I had to get that camera out before she found out.

*********