Chapter no.7

Sweat popped out onto my forehead at the thought as it ran through my mind, evoking a shiver of horror that ran down my spine. Even the thought of losing her made me want to kill myself.

I couldn't and I wouldn't live in a world where she didn't exist. It would be a sin in itself. The beast lived while the beauty died. How unfair would that be.

I raked my hands through my already messed up hair. For the first time in my years in this world of crime, I was helpless. Nothing was in my hands. Everything was in the hands of the Lord now.

I was at His mercy.
I wanted to desperately beg if that would bring her back.

The doctor approached me. "What is it? Is she okay?"
The doctor sighed.
"She has lost a lot of blood Angelo. We couldn't retrieve her. She's in coma right now."

Hearing this, my world came crashing down. My heart clenched painfully in my chest. I could not speak. The doctor patted my shoulder.
"She is out of danger but still in a critical position Angelo. The bullet hit her in the side of her abdomen and there are cuts on her arms along with the glass that hit her head. And the reason she went into coma is not an injury......" this made me look at the doctor in surprise.

"She's in shock......something nearly scared her to death. But she couldn't bear it and so her brain malfunctioned.....putting her into coma. When the body is in stress and shock, the brain puts the body in coma trying to help and heal it."

My head was spinning around with all the new information.
"When will she-" the doctor cut me off.

"I don't want to give you any false hope. It could be anytime. Hours, days, weeks or even months......"

The doctor walked away silently leaving me distressed. My mind felt disconnected with my body. I seemed to have frozen in my spot where I stood.

The nurse made her way towards me. "Mr Pasquale you can see her now. She has been shifted to her ward." I nodded and walked numbly towards where she rested.

Opening the door, I found myself unable to move. The heart-rending sight was hindering my steps. She looked so enervate, pale and lifeless. The sound of the beeping hospital equipment, being the only sign of her being alive.

Her eyes closed, her pale pink lips slightly parted. Even now she looked like an angel. My angel. Even now she was beautiful.
"Celine......" my lips moved involuntarily like a silent prayer.

I hoped against hope, she'd hear me. I wanted her to open those eyes I so dearly fell in love with and look at me. Yes.

Yes I loved her. It was forbidden for me to fall for such innocence. But I would never have it any other way.
"Celine.....please....wake up." I whispered urging myself forward and I sat up against her pillow.
I grabbed her hand which was cold, in my warm one.

"I have to take care of you, protect you. When you wake up. I'll apologize for putting you into all of this peril. Just hang on.....for me. Please." I whispered bringing her hand to my lips kissing her wrist.

"Mr Pasquale?"
I turned to look at the same nurse who had escorted me here.
"We need to change her clothing. Please if you will....." she gestured for me to move. Kissing her hand one last time, I walked out of the ward.

"Mr Pasquale will you please fill this form for me?" The receptionist said. I did all fhe formalities and drove home. Baldwin stood at the doorway as he held Avril's hand in his.

Avril looked at me with confusion.
"Angelo what Baldwin said-" she said but I cut her off.
"It is true...."

She gasped and I had to look away from her unfriendly glare.
"How dare you. You can't do this to her?"

"It's for her own safety." I answered calmly.
"But what you want to do is wrong-"

Why would it be wrong?
I sighed.
"Avril please let me do this-" she looked away.
"Baldwin will you please".... I sighed.
Baldwin took her away while she glared at me.

I had no other choice. But to keep Avril with us. Or else she might put Celine and herself in danger.

********

What is he upto? Any ideas?
A short chapter. Sorry for that. But I hope you will like it.
Don't forget to read, vote and comment.

Kisses and hugs.
Ashley

*******