16

When I felt calm, I smiled softly, causing her to double take

When I felt calm, I smiled softly, causing her to double take. Then, I lunged.  

I grabbed her hair and tugged on it painfully before shoving her face into Chase's food, which happened to be a salad completely drenched in dressing.

The cafeteria was silent for a heartbeat as everyone took in the scene with surprise. Slowly, Quincy took her head out of the salad bowl and turned to me. I held in a laugh when I caught sight of her face, covered in white ranch dressing. I lifted a hand over my mouth in mock surprise and wheezed a little bit behind the cover.

She let out a shriek of disbelief and looked at me with what I'm assuming is hatred. I could swear I saw a hint of proud amusement but it was gone before I could be sure. She looked angry now. Like a bull ready to charge, right at me.

She wiped her face with her arm and snarled. It reminded me of a wolf, her top lip curled backward, exposing her perfect front teeth. I could've sworn I heard a growl come from deep in her throat. Suddenly she charged, arms outstretched in a failed attempt to hit me.

I caught her arm, my expression was stony. "You shouldn't have messed with me."

She spits at my face. "You're a freak! Your eyes are purple for goodness sake! That's not normal!"

My eyes harden at 'freak'. My eyes had nothing to do with who I was as a person. "You don't even know me!"

She smirks. "I know enough, Alex."

"Alex?" My brother asked. I sighed. I didn't want to explain right now so I ignored him.

"Don't call me that." I said through gritted teeth.

"Alex."

I clenched my fists. "One more time. I dare you."

"Ale-" before she could finish talking my arm moved on its own accord to hit her.

I could've sworn I heard her mumble "Good. Protect yourself." But it was probably something else because there was a weird ringing noise in my ears preventing my hearing to be perfect.

Don suddenly came out of nowhere and tried to hug me to calm me down. It didn't work. He only riled me up more. I shoved him off of me.

"Stay away!" I screamed at him. Then, quietly I whispered, "Leave me alone." I ran out of the cafeteria.

"Anna!" Don shouted after me. I didn't stop. Everything was going way too fast. I need to get away.

As I ran through the halls I heard someone's footsteps quickly advancing. Whoever it was, was catching up, and fast.

"Anna! Stop! Please!" Don's voice pleaded. "Don't make me do this!"

I didn't stop- I couldn't, not when the exit was so close. What could Don really do?

I guess I shouldn't have underestimated him because next thing I knew, he tackled me to the ground, rolled us over so it only hurt him and wrapped his arms around me in an iron grip so I couldn't escape.

We were both breathing heavily. Me on top of him. I tried to pull away but he wouldn't let go. He just hugged me. "Shhh. It's okay."

I felt a wave of tiredness wash over me. "Don, y-you didn't listen." I wasn't just talking about how he refused to leave me alone. This went deeper than that, and I guess Don knew what I was talking about as well.

His eyes widened and he suddenly looked so sad. Gently, he let go. I sat up and got off of him. He sat up too and I saw an ugly bruise on his side from tackling me to the floor and taking the impact for himself.

"Al-"

"No. Don't call me that. Please."

"Anna. You have to hear me out." He begged.

I felt angry again. Angry and tired. Defeated. "What is there to hear out?! What could possibly make you seem better?" I asked harshly, voice growing loud.

"She's not dead."

Oh look, another cliffhanger

Oh look, another cliffhanger. SorryNotSorry. Hehe. So things just got interesting didn't they? Who was killed(or wasn't if what Don's saying is true)?

Dedicated to RenRiex for sticking with this book. Thank you!

Vote

Comment

Commote?