2

I waited a while, expecting someone else to open the door, but the house was deadly silent

I waited a while, expecting someone else to open the door, but the house was deadly silent. It could just be the thick walls, or everyone was asleep or out but I doubted that they would be out at this time since it was just eight thir-

"What the hell?" I murmured to myself as I looked at the time. The glowing numbers tauntingly blinked back at me. 12:45. "I could've sworn it was 8:30." I stare at the clock for a few more seconds before shaking my head. Whatever.

The doorbell rang once more. I rolled my eyes and walked out of the bathroom. Dragging myself downstairs, I rubbed my tired eyes. Honestly, it still felt too early. As I passed the kitchen I caught a glimpse of pale yellow on the fridge.

I paused and backtracked, reading the note.

"Anna, We are gone taking Crystal school supply shopping. If you get hungry you can order something for yourself. Love, Mom & Dad." I read out loud. Huh, I guess I'm home alone then.

When the doorbell rang for the third time, I couldn't help the ghost of a smirk forming on my face. I wonder if whoever that is, is having fun waiting for someone to open the door. It was probably one of those people who went from house to house to sell chocolates or something.

I walked to the front door and finally flung the door open. Bad idea. As soon as the bright sunlight hit my eyes, I groaned. Why did it burn so much, goddammit? 

I shut my eyes until they adjusted a little and when I finally opened them, I was squinting. It was still bright out. I could only see the silhouette of a man. "What are you? A vampire? It's just sunlight." a freakishly familiar ⁽/ᴺ﹕ ˢᵉᵉ ᵗʰᵉ ᵃᶫᶫᶦᵗᵉʳᵃᵗᶦᵒᶰ, ʰᵉʰᵉ⋅ ᴵ ʲᵘˢᵗ ᶰᵒᵗᶦᶜᵉᵈ⋅ ᴼᵏᵃʸ, ᴵ'ᵐ ᵍᵒᶰᶰᵃ ᵍᵒ ᶰᵒʷ⁾ voice said snarkily.

I scowled. "Yeah, I am. It's totally why I'm not a pile of ashes by now." I retorted sarcastically. I blinked my eyes before I looked at him again. This time the light didn't affect me as much since my eyes have completely adjusted.

I saw the muscular shape of a man's body which looked quite familiar. As my eyes trailed upwards I took note that he had messy brown hair, hazel eyes, and a slight tan. When the guy saw me eyeing him suspiciously, he smirked.

I ignored the fact he was smirking for no reason, sometimes you just have to leave it be. "Look, whoever you are, you can leave now because I'm not interested in buying whatever the hell it is you're selling." As soon as I finished speaking, I shut the door in his face.

Just as I was about to march up the stairs and do nothing for the rest of the day, the doorbell rang again. I groaned. I had to give it to him. This guy was persistent, though I didn't think it made people suddenly change their mind about buying whatever he wanted to sell them. Unless of course, they just wanted to get rid of him.

I stormed back to the door and yanked it open. "What the hell are you still doing here? Didn't I make it clear that I don't want to buy-" I didn't get to finish my sentence because he cut me off with a hug. My arms hung limply by my sides. I took a deep breath in, resisting the urge to pinch the bridge of my nose.

"Okay buddy, I'll say this once. I'm not sure if personal space exists in your vocabulary, but I'd very much like it if you remove your arms off of me. Okay? I'm going to count down from five and if your arms aren't off of me by then, well let's just say you'll regret it." I gritted out calmly, sounding sickeningly sweet.

"Five."

"Four."

"Three-" His arms were instantly off of me and I smirked. I got on my tiptoes. "Good boy." I told him while patting his head like he was a dog.

The guy wrinkled his nose in distaste. "Don't do that ever again." he said.

I smiled up at him. "I wouldn't get a chance to if you left with your product and never came ba-" I started, overly sweet. I rolled my eyes when he cut off my sentence. He suddenly looked kind of irritated.

"You really don't recognize me?" he asked, dejectedly. I tilted my head to the side, observing him. 

"Am I supposed to?" I ask right back. He scowled. "Wait! Hold on..."

I grabbed his face and pulled it close, inspecting it. I turned his head to the side. "Hmm..." I hummed, turning it the other way and squishing his cheeks. I didn't let myself laugh at the look on his face when I grabbed his chin and told him to say 'ah'. The dude swatted my hands away, annoyed.

"Recognize me yet?" He asked.

I shrugged. "Nope!" I exclaimed cheerfully, popping the 'P'.  The guy pouted.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the 'worst sister in the world' goes to Anna for not recognizing her own brother." He looked me up and down in mock distaste. "I feel hurt. I thought you were better than that, teacake." The nickname caused buried memories to churn to the surface. My eyes widened.

"Adam?"