Seventeen

As March turned to April, Tommy noticed that Nikki was busy after school a lot more often. He always came over, but it was just later than it had used to be. With the stress and short days of winter behind them, spring was a reliever for Tommy, but he still wanted to know what Nikki was doing. So one day, he went ahead and asked him.

Nikki giggled at the question, leaning forward and pressing a chaste kiss to his boyfriend's lips.

Tommy couldn't help but notice how the childlike fullness of Nikki's face was starting to even out, leaving him with high cheekbones and a sharp jawline. His emerald eyes never changed, though - they were as stormy and intelligent as ever. He was becoming more beautiful every day.

"Band practice, baby! Vince and I put a band together. He sings, I play bass - we even got that weird tall kid, Mick, to play guitar. Of course, we don't have a serious drummer - he kinda shows up whenever. Honestly, I can't even remember his name. I think it's Jack. But he's a total dickhead, so he probably will get kicked out sometime soon. It's fun." Nikki beamed.

Tommy blinked, remembering his high school years and an old band he used to be in.

"I used to drum in a band. We weren't any good, though. I bet you guys are amazing. Play any gigs?"

"Not yet, but we're hoping to soon. Maybe this band will be my big break!" Nikki giggled.

"You got a band name?" Tommy asked, nostalgia and almost jealously poking cruelly at his heart.

"Right now, we're calling it Christmas. That name kinda sucks, though, so I dunno. It'll probably get changed."

Tommy nodded, squeezing Nikki's hand.

"I like it. I'd love to come hear you guys play sometime, if that's alright."

"Babe, Vince, Mick, and drummer boy don't know that I'm dating my math teacher."

"Aw, fuck. That's right," Tommy rolled his eyes. "Makes me wanna drop outta college, honestly."

Nikki laughed, kissing him again.

"When we play a gig, you can come and no one will think differently of you. I'll tell you as soon as we get one."

"Okay." Tommy smiled softly, feeling Nikki bury into him. His uncomfortable, old couch had become their 'spot' ever since that first night when they watched Dirty Dancing together. It seemed like so long ago.

Both of them were in just their boxers and each other's arms. Tommy's apartment was unusually warm for spring, so he usually walked around in just his underwear, and Nikki quickly fell into the routine as well.

Tommy's hands stroked along Nikki's bare back, holding him close. He twirled Nikki's dark locks around his finger, showering his smaller boyfriend with kisses that left him a blushing, giggling mess. Nikki was easily the cutest thing Tommy had ever laid eyes on.

"So, lovely, when's your next band practice? I could pick you up after, and we could go out for lunch. You could just say I was another friend, I don't need to come in and meet them." Tommy suggested, feeling Nikki yawn.

"Well, tomorrow's Wednesday and we practice every other day. So, Thursday. Is that alright?" Nikki smiled up at his lover, planting a hand on his chest.

"Sounds great, babe.. hey, did you need any help on that homework? You said you were going to do it before you came over."

"Yeah, it was fine! Honestly, I used to think Mrs. Sullivan was the only person who could save my math grade. Obviously I was wrong, because I used to be happy with my C's, but now I'm getting B's and even A's! I'm so happy. Thank you." Nikki grinned, feeling Tommy's broad smile against his cheek.

"Aw, sweetie.. I'm doing the best I can. I'm glad I'm helping your grades, though.. you're an exceptionally smart guy. Even if you don't end up going to college, because of your band, I'm glad you're getting this stuff down. It's important." Tommy murmured, his pride shining through his voice.

"You sound like my mom," Nikki snickered. "But yeah, I guess so. I just hope either this band or some other band I end up in works out, because I totally can't see myself doing anything else with my life except music. Of course, if I end up settling down.. well, I never really thought that was a real option until you came along. Now, I'm open to it. But I don't know what kind of job I'd ever be doing." Nikki admitted, smiling sweetly. Tommy took his face in his hands, kissing him softly.

"Whatever happens, I will be there with you every step of the way."

"You mean that?"

"Of course!" Tommy laughed softly. "You're my everything. I'll never let you go, baby. We'll get through anything and everything together."

That made Nikki smile brighter than he had all day.

"I really just don't understand what I did to deserve you. I mean, come on - I'm just a delinquent high schooler who fell in love with some extreme college math-nerd smarty pants.. plus, on top of that, you're gorgeous. Smart and pretty? I can't believe it." Nikki laughed, sliding into Tommy's lap so he could properly look into his eyes.

"No, no.. Nikki, baby. Gosh. I wish you could see what I do when I look at you," Tommy murmured, leaning forward and resting his forehead against his lover's. "You're the most beautiful person to ever walk this earth, y'know. It's all the little things that I really fell in love with; like that special look in your eyes when I tell you that I love you, or the softness of your cheeks when I take your face into my palms, or the way you always intertwine your fingers with mine first when we hold hands," Tommy sighed softly. "I love the way you bite your lip when you get frustrated. I love the way you put on your eyeliner in the morning and how it's perfect every time, and I love the way you flip your head upside down when you do your hair because it's super cute."

"Baby~.." Nikki was blushing wildly, hiding his face in Tommy's neck.

"I'm not done," Tommy pressed a kiss to Nikki's head, running his fingers through his hair. "I love your body. I love your arms when they wrap around me, I love your cute belly, especially when it presses against mine. I love your curves, because we fit perfectly together like a puzzle when we lie in bed. And your thighs and hips are super great to hold on to, and to place kisses all over. But you know what I love the most?" Tommy chuckled, gently tapping along each of the places he named. Nikki nuzzled into his neck, breathing in his boyfriend's sweet scent.

"What?"

Tommy sat back a little, running his cool hand up Nikki's shirt and placing it on his chest.

"Your heart."