Chapter 21 : Safe and sound?

Start from the beginning

She removed my medicines from the drawer close by ignoring my desire to meet him ."Guess what?  I'm gonna pay him a visit anyway ", I yanked the tube from my hand avoiding the pain which it caused me. 

"Please stay calm, you're supposed to rest ", I grabbed the knife which was placed on the table so as to threaten the nurse to maintain a safe distance away from me.

"Nothing and no one will stop me or I'll cut my veins. Stay away, don't call the doctor. I am fine, I'll certainly be ", I buttoned the hospital's loose shirt which I was wearing.

"I'll come along, please don't go alone. Let me be your guide please ", she wasn't angry at me but instead served me her help.

I nodded and marched out of the room crookedly, she held my hands providing me moral and physical support as my vision was blurred due to the formation of tears under my waterline. "That room is the emergency room ", she pointed towards the ICU which was situated on the corner of the floor. The hospital was massive, clean, and well built.

There was a small glass on the door which allowed us to see through the room, I fastened up my walking position because of which my leg twisted resulting me to fall, I sheltered myself through my palms by resting them on the ICU'S door.

Abandoning my pain I looked through the glass, Mr. Reynolds was on the bed surrounded by 3-doctors. He laid there effortlessly with his eyes closed. I could see the doctors cleaning up his wounds and inserting various machines in his body to speed up the recovery process, science was out of my comfort zone so I didn't really understand what they were doing. 

"It's been an hour madam ", I felt a pat on my shoulder. The nurse tried to alarm me so that I  could now move away and rest for myself.  "It's my fault, do you see his condition ", I wailed loudly whilst hugging her. 

"Shush, it's fate. It's all destined. He'll be fine if it's in his destiny, no sobbing only praying ", she hugged me back as she patted my back softly.

"I want him back ", I cried even harder this time cursing myself because if he wouldn't have come safeguarding me, something like this wouldn't ever happen to him ."I should've been in his place "

"Everything happens for a reason, love ", the nurse sure was quite optimistic.  She dragged me towards the closest seat which bypassed the room. I looked straight towards the ground lost in my thoughts hoping for positive news. I clenched my fists and rested my cheeks over them waiting for the arrival of the doctors.

As soon as the doctor opened the door I ran towards him " How is he, tell me ?" 

"He, umm " he paused for a while and then continued after clearing his throat " We've got 24 hours to diagnose that, follow me to my cabin ", he wanted to talk in private because revealing anything regarding his disease and condition was confidential and against the rules of the hospital.

I followed him to his cabin as he took the lead, I avoided making any sound of my footsteps. The word 'disease' echoed around my ears over and over again. I kept sane and positive just like the nurse suggested to me. 

"Take a seat, Mrs Reynolds, do you want some beverage or plain water ?", he was gentle enough to understand my condition.

"I'm fine, thanks ", my mind revolved around the word 'Mrs' but I didn't really clear his misunderstanding as he'd tell me every minute detail of his condition if he considered me his spouse and if he happened to know our relation he wouldn't spill out any beans.

"So how long will it take for him to recover ", I took a seat whilst furrowing my brows. 

"Mrs. Reynolds, he is currently in an extremely critical situation. We have 24 hours to figure out that whether his body will respond to our treatment or " I swallowed deep out of stress " Or I think you're smart enough to figure out the consequences, keep him in your prayers as he is in need of them ", I quickly wiped the tears which were enrolling through my eyes. "Call all of your family members, the ones which are precisely close to him ".