56

The next village was empty of both humans and ravagers. They continued through a long tunnel that ended in a third village. A few elves and other ravagers inhabited the area, but were quickly dealt with.

"From here there's a village that way, and two down that path," said Kita.

"Were should we go?" Tina wondered.

"Wherever elves aren't," Katie muttered.

Kita laughed and headed down the path that led to the two villages. It didn't take long for the sound of elves to come up the tunnel. Kita, Snowy, Anthrax, and Sarin rushed forward. The tunnel was packed with ravagers caught by surprise. The four cut them down. Fire, lightning, and gas destroyed all those who stood in their way. The only stopped when they came to the cave-in that the ravagers were working their way through.

"I wonder what's on the other side?" Kita mussed.

"Well if the ravagers want through, it must mean something we want," said Snowy.

"Let's start moving rock." Kita ordered.

"Are you sure that's wise? If there are people trapped down there it might be the only think protecting them," said Paladin.

"Not for long," Kita pointed to the claw marks on the rock and wall, "Elves can dig through solid rock."

Paladin grunted an agreement and grabbed a boulder. After several false exits, they poked through the top.

"Hello! Anyone there?" Kita yelled. She was met with silence. "Guess we keep digging."

They cleared enough space for everyone to get through and found themselves in another village, but this one was intact. They moved forward, looking for signs of life. Checking several of the houses showed people had been living in them very recently. Undeterred, Kita pushed on.

Passing through another forge and refinery complex, they found it in working order and hot. Projects sat on the anvils. People knew something was coming. Continuing down the tunnel, they came to a large wooden barricade. Kita knocked politely.

"Hello? Anyone home? It's Commander Kita," she announced. Kita was losing patience. "If no one's at home, then I'll smash my way through."

When she didn't receive a response, Kita growled. Taking Dusk, she worked it between the two gate doors and lifted the doors barricade out of place. Pushing the two doors back, the group entered.

In the center of the village, a large number of villagers stood huddled together. Kita motioned for everyone to put their weapons away and wait as she approached them.

"Is Leader Murdock here?" Kita called.

A big man stepped forward. "He's not. Who are you?"

Kita's eyebrow went up. She thought everyone here knew who she was. "I'm Commander Kita. I've come to find out what happened."

"What happened?" The man yelled angrily. "You happened, that's what. Those things came in through the tunnel you wanted dug. This is your fault."

Kita winced. "I'm sorry. I didn't know they'd find you."

"So you did know they were down here?" A woman yelled from the crowd as it moved toward Kita.

"They infested my tubes. I didn't know they would burrow into your villages."

"We completed the tunnel to the Legion's tubes and these things poured through, killing everyone that couldn't make it here," the man thundered.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know you were going to dig that tunnel." Kita took a knee and spread her wings low, "Please forgive me. I promise to make it right. I'm truly sorry for this."