37

"Where the hell could that dumpy girl get to? It's not like her legs are long," Anthrax growled.

"We're running out of places to search," said Katie. "She's either here or the bottom of the oil recycler. Guess which one I want to save for dead last?"

The Angels opened the door to the large viewing area. A blast of heat stopped them like a wall. Thousands of candles sat on every surface and attached to the walls. In the middle, Darla stood next to crates of candles lighting each candle and setting it among the others.

"What in the hell are you doing? Open flames on a station is hazard one," Anthrax cried while gliding down next to the crate of candles, blocking Darla's path. Katie landed a second later.

"No, please, let me finish. I need to finish. Please," Darla pleaded.

"You've got to be kidding me; the air recyclers can't handle this. Not to mention, where are you getting all these candles?"

"I've been making them for her. It's been tougher than I thought. I've already raided my earwax collection, the oil recycler, and deep fryer. No French fries tonight, by the way," said Omega.

"I thought you said you didn't know where she was?" Katie said annoyed.

"I lied."

Anthrax scowled. "and why are you helping this roly-poly?"

"She apologized to me, so I said I'd help her forgive herself. I didn't know she was responsible three billion deaths. It's taking a lot of candles."

"What do you mean responsible for?" said Katie.

"About five thousand years ago I, Gerald, and a group of others started a war of eradication to remove all those humans born in vats. We killed billions, but eventually we lost. This war is a continuation of that war. Gerald's set out to finish what he started. I left when he beat me and I've carried the guilt until now. Each candle represents a million people. I have special ones for everyone on the station, one for each of the Angels, one for Jane, and the last on is for Kita." She pointed to a candle as tall as she and decorated with white and black swirls, wax carved roses, and feather shaped wax shavings coming off. "Please don't make me stop."

"Don't worry I've boosted the environmental controls to compensate. The fire suppression controls are on alert, and all flammable liquid and gas lines are shut off. If it wasn't for all the candles, it would be freezing in here." Omega laughed.

"I don't like it. It's dangerous. You couldn't have used lights?" Anthrax said crossly.

"It wouldn't be the same. The fire moves like it's alive. Lighting a candle is much more symbolic than flipping a switch," said Darla.

"Takes longer that's for sure," said Katie.

"Don't worry, I have it under control. You can stay and watch if you want," said Omega.

"I think I will," Anthrax said with a nasty look on her face.

"I'll go tell Tina we found her. She can stop fretting about it." Katie flittered up the stairs.

"How is she?" said Darla quietly.

"What, now you care?" Anthrax scolded.

"Yes." Darla said in a small voice.

"Well, after managed to get her out of the corner, she's been in Jane's room curled up crying. Jane's been doing her best to calm her. From the sound of it she hasn't had much luck. Tina's trying to continue with the briefing and planning with the generals, but is as lost as they are. The German fellow has backed out entirely. The other two are at least listening. Our commanders are in complete knots, unsure of what's become of their two primary commanders. So yeah, she's doing just fine.