42

The depot door onto the platform flew open. Snowy and Anthrax jumped and put themselves between Kita and the door. Ready to strike, a figure came out of the blinding sunlight.

"Snowy!" Sarin cried happily. She rushed forward and hugged Snowy. "What happened to you?" She asked when Snowy mewed in pain.

"Damn girl, you scared the crap out of us. I got caught by a chainsaw. Nell has been patching me up. What's going on outside?"

"No one told you? I kind of threw a fit at the front and wiped out most of the opposition. The Black Legion and Patton were able to penetrate deep into the enemy's line and do some real damage. Schwarzkopf had the diversionary forces attack and I guess they and Rommel blitzkrieged through the enemy's positions. Schwarzkopf says the front's collapsing and the enemy's in full retreat. I came to help here. Now come on, sit. You look whiter than normal." Sarin pushed Snowy down next to Kita.

Seeing Kita for the first time, Sarin sank down next to Snowy. "How can anyone do that to someone?"

"Family." Snowy laughed coldly.

"What?"

"Her brother, Jeffrey, caught her by surprise and tore her up and then used her as bait for me."

"Why would he want with you?"

"According to him, Darla's former husband still has a thing for her." Snowy rolled her eyes.

"I thought that was you...?"

Snowy shook her head. "Not anymore. Darla's been laid to rest with the other three billion in that room of light. I'm just Snowy now."

"Nellie, how's Kita doing?" Sarin said fighting back tears.

Anthrax shook her head. "If it's clear outside we need to get her loaded into a chamber to stabilize her. I've fixed the most life threatening things, but she's taken a lot of damage."

"It's clear outside, Nell. You can call for a shuttle," Katie came around the corner holding her side. When she finally reached them, she fell to her knees and rolled over.

"Katie!" the three yelled.

"What's wrong, Nell?" said Sarin worriedly.

"She's been hit at least a dozen times. I'm surprised she's made it this long."

"It's the berserking. She'll go forever until she stops, and then it'll hit her like a wall," said Snowy.

"Dammit. Now I really need Tina, this is her specialty," Anthrax growled as she worked on extracting a bullet.

Snowy took Sarin's hand. "Go find Tina."

Sarin nodded and flew out the door. She returned with Paladin, and a screaming Tina in his hands.

"Let me go! I don't have to do anything I don't want to do," Tina yelled.

"Even help save Katie?" said Snowy.

"She shouldn't have been out there! She's no warrior. She only went because you and the rest pushed her," Tina screamed.

"No one pushed her Tina. Snowy helped her with her nerves and told me to help her. We all have those going into combat," said Paladin.

"I can't believe you're taking that things side, you big tin can," Tina screeched.

Sarin slapped Tina to the ground. She grabbed Tina and held her up. "Tina, stop it. I won't let you insult my girlfriend or turn into a brat in the middle of a combat zone. Someone who cares about you a lot is over there bleeding out while you're here throwing a tantrum, because you don't want to work with someone. You should be over there helping Nell. Whatever the sudden ultra hatred of Snowy is we'll talk about it later, I promise. Now calm down and go do your job." Sarin put Tina down gently, but with a harsh glare.